Right to Bear Arms : yes or no?

I have been thinking alot about this lately, I feel I should have the right to bear arms. Single mother wants to protect her young, especially at home.

With this said, I am saddened at many women who cannot protect themselves from guerrillas in other countries. I saw a story awhile back, about mothers being raped/killed before their very own children. Houses rampaged, kids abducted in the middle of the night if not murdered.

If put in this situation, I would gladly accept any form of guns to protect my family. I will go to bed, but even so this is not the luxury of women in other countries. They don't play online and deal with the issues that we have. They worry about guerrillas and the violence , and hope to survive.

This show haunts me, and makes me hope someone changes it around for these mothers.

Whether here or there, I want the right to bear arms.

VGonzalez73

Asked by VGonzalez73 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, although it doesn't help much, it may ease your mind a small amount to know that in August of this year the UN did step up and announce that anyone involved in the sexual abuse through the Congo would be prosecuted... They are no longer simply stepping back and ignoring what is going on there, largely in part to the charities and groups in countries like our own who have pushed and pushed to end this type of horror. The sad part is that we simply can't do enough. My efforts, as small as they are, focus largely on Sexual Abuses & Slavery here in the US. While I wish I could say I felt I could do something about those women in places like the Congo, I simply feel helpless there. On the other hand, I CAN make a difference here, and that is what I would encourage you to do. There are quite a few sexual slavery groups or charities all through the US, it may do you some good to get involved - make a difference!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• worrrying about oher women in other countries???? wow with the high domestic voilence, rapes and other vicious crimes against women and children in america... just this week nutjob son wacked his mother with a sword while police stood outside the home waiting on protocol. i'd say first do something about the problems in the US it's obvious jail sentences do nothing to deter.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:57 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'm not really sure what your question is, but yes, I fully support the right to bear arms, and better yet the right to actually use those "arms." Some of the newer laws which now require that guns are locked up securely and unloaded drives me nuts, cause lets face it, if someone were to break in to your home, he's not going to wait for you to go unlock the gun safe and load your weapon, he's just gonna attack...

As for women in other countries, do yourself a favor and don't look in to the Congo. I have been researching some of the atrocities that are taking place there and it's beyond disgusting... I also work with a few "sexual slavery" groups both in and out of the US, and trust me, if anyone needs a gun it's these women and children (yes, children) the things they are put through are simply horrendous... Unfortunately, we can't save them all. The groups I work with can't even make a dent, and it does haunt me, I get it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I live with my youngest son and grandsons,my husband left me last year,WE have guns night sticks,and knives and am learning to use them,I think a woman should learn how to use at least 2 of the weapons and have them handy when needed.and go in screamig,swinging,clawing,full force
    coloredribbons

Answer by coloredribbons at 1:30 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am in favor, just make sure you know how to use them. An inexperienced shooter forced to fire a weapon under stress can be more dangerous for themselves than who they are aiming at. Go to hunter safety (they have other safety classes but this one is free and covers the basics of gun safety in a weekend) and visit the shooting range to get accustomed to a gun before you ever HAVE to use it. If you haven't bought a gun yet a shot gun being loaded is a universally recognized sound. You don't even have to shoot it to scare the crap out of most intruders.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 1:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Absolutely! As long as we protect our children from harming themselves or someone else!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• im still fighting for my right to bear arms in new jersey...... its crazy.. fl has the best gun laws
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 2:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• gonzalez... alot of people use god to justify what they are doing..s ad part of those who do..they are actually mentally ill then you have the portion that do just to be evil vile people.

the local issue is big... crime rates are off the hook in america. jails are filled to the bring with low offenders (drug) while viscious criminals get away with murder or rapists get off the hook or serve minimal sentences to only come out and repeat offend and worse become murderers as well.

yes it's a grim reality every where.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:15 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• In December, 2009, the LRA massacred "at least" 321 people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to a BBC investigation published in March, 2010 (see Makombo massacre).[46] The deaths were verified by the Red Cross and Human Rights Watch. Victims were hacked or battered to death, and survivors were made to carry loads for their attackers. At least eighty children of both sexes were captured, the boys as fighters, the girls to be sex slaves for the LRA members.
    This is what i was referring to. To truthteller....I will vote your answer up for your response and if you knew me I WANT TO DO SOMETHING (even if it sharing that its going on) As 4 making me feel warm and cozy, no it doesn't at all!!!!!! I am saddened. Worst yet, the oppressors are calling themselves Lord's Resistance Army ...makes me sick. TY, Sabrina, that is a perfect word for it atrocities, and I wish some group would step in and give these women a gun.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I was actually reading some information about the UN. I watched America's Most Wanted last week and saw John Walsh do a sex trade up in the Portland area. One girl was taken from her pimp and then she had nowhere to go and ended up being beaten by another pimp. They are seeking to build a shelter home to get these kids being abducted and sold on the market. Did you happen to see that episode. People like yourself Sabrina, John Walsh, Lisa Lang are so inspiring. I want to do something and can't wait to get a car...tedious, but I will be able to network better and volunteer. Thanks for the encouragement. Once i start working, i will be tithing or taking a percentage out to give.
    VGonzalez73

Comment by VGonzalez73 (original poster) at 2:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2010