Catholic Priests

I don't get why Catholic Priests can't be married. I was raised Catholic and my Mom still goes to the Catholic church. But growing up and still to this day I don't understand why they can't get married.

trachmom312

Asked by trachmom312 at 2:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just like a nun or a monk they are supposed to devote their whole lives to God; where a spouse would compete for their attention and loyalty. Not that I agree, but that's the way it was explained to me as a child.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It's because when you love someone, then part of your heart is devoted to that person. A man can't be completely, utterly devoted to God, if his heart and mind have devotion to an earthly being of the flesh.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• This doesn't really answer your question....but rather poses another. I find it ironic that Catholic priests cannot be married, and yet they teach classes on how to have a successful marriage. Wonder how they know?
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 3:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have always thought the same thing. How can you know what marrage is like if you have never been married.
    trachmom312

Comment by trachmom312 (original poster) at 3:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They are "married" to Christ but I believe it is not for everyone, and therefore should be optional. I relate to my pastor more because he is a husband, father, and grandpa.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• From what I have read, this is more of a current practice than a matter of faith that is set in stone. I was told that the Church could validly change this decision, but it is not likely. It is not something I worry about.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think they should be able to at least marry so they can stop perpetrating their sexual needs on innocent children! At least they can be sexually fulfilled if they were married!

Anonymous

• Jesus taught the value of celibacy for the sake of the kingdom in Matt 19:11-12. The Apostle Paul endorses celibacy for those capable of it (1 Cor 7:8-9) and prefers celibacy to marriage (1 Cor 7:27-34).

If a priest is celibate, he is concerned about the affairs of the Lord, but if a priest is married, he is anxious about the affairs of his wife and the world. A priest can be a better priest if he is unmarried.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

Your statement implies three false allegations.  First, you imply the majority of priests are pedofiles, when really a very small percentage of priests ever molested children.  More sex offenders can be found in public schools or other demoninations of churches.  Second, you imply that sexual stimulation or intercourse is a human need that one cannot live without - an outlet must be found, even if it is an unimpropirate outlet.  The reality is that sex is not a need as no one has ever died from lack of sex.  Third, you imply that married people will not molest children, when not only do I know IRL people who were sexually abused as kids by married adults.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I also have never been able to figure out why a priest or a nun is not allowed to find fulfillment in love and all it's physical aspects with one special person like any other normal adult ! It's ---SO UNFAIR !!!
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2010