Anybody find out their babies sex on a NT scan at 11-14 weeks???

I am having a NT scan (nuchal translucency) on dec. 3rd and i'll be 12 wks 4 days pregnant and I've heard several ppl have found out the babies gender at 12-14 weeks on these. Anybody have a similar story???

kness7

Asked by kness7 at 2:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I heard that it's not really possible (with any great certainty) because the genitals look the same on both genders at that point. They both have a "bump" which will develop into either the penis or the clitoris.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 3:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't think that is possible. I agree with pp, it all looks the same at that stage.
    armywife009

Answer by armywife009 at 3:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• No. The US tech can make an educated guess, but it's not really possible to tell the differences until around 16 weeks. Any tech worth their weight in salt will not even try, and will tell you that they pretty much look the same at that point.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• well i know 3 ppl personally that found out on NT scans at 12 wks 4 days, 13 wks 2 days and 13 wks 6 days and they were all right (confirmed at 16-20 wks U/S). Also i found out my 2nd son was a boy on REGULAR ultrasound VERY clearly at 15 wks 0 days! Nothing is ever a garantee on ultrasound, even at 20 weeks ya know.....i was just wanting to hear from ppl who had found out on a NT scan and to see if it was right!

Also a experienced U/S technican on a NT scan can tell the difference between female and male genitals at 12-14 weeks based on direction (pointed up=boy or down=girl) and placement and 3 lines=girl. A boy doesn't have the 3 lines ever, where a girl will at 11-12 weeks already :D I know its possible because I seen it done in person with the friend who found out she was having a girl at 12 wks 4 days.............definite 3 lines !!!!
    kness7

Comment by kness7 (original poster) at 3:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• oh to be more exact lol since i know its a rule that dr's usually say u cant tell until after 16 weeks.........but in fact even at 9-11 weeks, when the genitals are almost identical.....a males tubercle (penis) has a greater then 30 degree angle to the spine (points up) and a female tubercle (clitoris) has a less then 30 degree angle with the spine (points down) of the fetus......this is one way a VERY experienced tech can guess educatedly the gender early on.........just so u know the science behind it!!! Once you've reached 12-13 weeks then the labia and clitoris are present (if a girl) and the tech can look for the 3 lines that would indicate female gender!!!!
    kness7

Comment by kness7 (original poster) at 3:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't do U/Ss with my pregnancies and am not a sonographer, but when I look at the comparison (at 11 weeks) I can see how it would be very difficult to tell.
    From my link:

9 week old embryo - 11 weeks Pregnant
    At the ninth week, there are not yet any notable differences.
    The boy is on the left and the girl on the right. You find the same structures on both fetus.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• at 9-11 weeks yes structurely they are nearly identical EXCEPT the angle of the structures......that is key!!! A male tubercle points up and a female points down..........thats y i say an EXPERIENCED technican can tell the difference!!! But i'm talking after 11 wks.....12-14 weeks mark when there are noticable differences ya know...still hard BUT possible
    kness7

Comment by kness7 (original poster) at 3:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Good luck!
    :-)
    Let us know!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• well i was told, according to angle of the dangle theory, that i was having a girl at my NT scan..........and it was verified at 16w3d that i indeed 100% for sure am having a GIRL!
    kness7

Comment by kness7 (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011