Anything to help someone who gets depressed when there's no sun?

anything natual to take to help my friend through the winter months. She gets severly depression when the sun hides out for the winter. Any suggestions. No she can't go south for the winter. Good idea though!

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Health

• Vitamin D supplements. I have depression, live in WI, and had my Vitamin D level drawn. I was so surprised to find out my level was only 11 when the normal is supposed to be 30. So now I have to take 50,000 iu of Vitamin D twice a week. That was prescription strength. Obviously I would not recommend that much to anyone unless it was prescribed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Vitamin D!! Go to a good vitamin store and ask for their recommendations (we use JuicePlus which is food-based, really like it).

Full-spectrum lights, especially in the early morning and early evening (to lengthen the day) are pricey but can help too.

We're in seattle, I totally know the drill, and YES it does get depressing. I find eating 'summer foods' and listening to BEach Boys, etc on th shortest days perks me up (non scientific but it works!)
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I live in Oregon, so I get a lot of that. What I do is keep a bright light on, call someone, watch a cheerful or funny movie, listen to upbeat music or just basically get up and moving.
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 3:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Does she live in Alaska? Doesn't the sun come up every morning? Can she go outside for walks? Usually the fresh air should help.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 3:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Didn't know that.....thanks.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 3:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Walking around always helps or even get out of the house to do some shopping. The lights in different stores may help curb that missing the sunshine feeling.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 3:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Did you know that the scandinavian countries have the highest rate of juvenile depression and suicide? -People need sunlight!

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Tell her 2 take a Viatamin D supplement. That sure help her out a lot.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Have your friend look into getting a Light Box it mimics the sun and helps with S.A.D
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She lives in Oregon where the winter months the sun hides behind every rain cloud that passes by....
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 3:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2010