Do you expect your kids to stay the same religon as you raised them?

Do you expect the your kids to stay the same religion as you raised them? Or is it ok once they turn 18 to make their own decision on what they want to believe? I was raised Catholic. But as I got older I decided that wasn't for me anymore. I quit going to the Catholic church. My Mom gets on my case about this every now and then. But I think she has started to realize that no matter what she does or says I'm not going back.

trachmom312

Asked by trachmom312 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, not at all. I feel that religion is a personal choice. When they are children we can guide them in what we feel is the "right" religious path, but ultimately, they have to choose what is right for them. Be glad that they are intelligent enough to explore other religions and make their own decisions and not be robots who just believe what they have been told.
    ilovepoms

Answer by ilovepoms at 3:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I hope and pray they do remain Christians. But no matter what their choices, I will be their mama and love them.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They can make their own decision. No one can force them to believe what you or anyone else believes and that is one lesson I teach my kids. That is with anything in life. We don't teach our kids to follow what others do especially if it goes against how they feel in their hearts. This holds true for faith. Faith is a personal journey for many of us.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 3:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You answered your own question. As long as they don't plan on joining any harmful groups.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 4:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• No.
    I notice that a lot of people will leave the faith they were raised with.
    It seems wise to stay open and respectful of all walks of life, even if parenting under one mainly.

As a parent, letting go is one of our biggest lessons!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• it would be a naive expectation. They will make their own choices regardless of what we want.
    My parents really forced me and guilt tripped me to the point where I have to just pay lip service so they hear what they wanna hear. What I do in reality is something different. Don't push it to that point :-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• First of all, I've raised my kids without any religion at all.  Secondly, I have no right to live their lives for them.  It is their choice.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I hope that they do. That is their choice though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I expect my daughter to listen to God and follow where He leads her.. I can't force her to believe anything, ever.. What I can do is pray for her and guide her the best way I know how..
    However, I understand your mother's position.. If your mother has comlpete faih in her religon I don't blame her for worrying about you.. She's a mom.. It's what we do..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 8:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• No. I hope that my children will always have faith, but I have yet to find a nonjudgemental religion so I'm all for them looking for what makes them happy, maybe I will join them (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010