Cats........is Turkey good for them? I have adopted a stray that comes in at night due to the cold.

Already have been feeding her cat food for the last 3-4 months or so. and wanted to give her some turkey for a treat.

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 3:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Cats will eat anything. Just make sure there are no bones or ligaments in it.

trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 3:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think it would be a nice treat. I've recently heard that turkey can be harmful to a dog's stomach lining, but we did give my dog some turkey (not much, and I didn't give her skin or anything I myself wouldn't eat).
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They are predators, in the wild, they or their wild cousins wouldn't have a problem eating any bird of any type. Its meat. They'll be fine.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Cats are meat eaters....they are known to be of the only animal who can survive solely on meat....so i would think turkey would be fine !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Turkey (the dark meat) and rabbit are the best food to feed a cat ~ and it's even better if you feed it to them raw. Both cats and dogs can eat (were designed and evolved to eat) raw meat AND bones. They chew up and digest the smaller bones, which gives them the nutrients from the bone marrow that they need. Cooking meat destroys the nutrients in the bones (and many in the meat itself), but even cooked meat has some nutritional value. It's far better to give as a treat than any of those putrid fat coated treats they sell in stores.

If you have any doubt about how greasy store bought kibble is, just run a paper towel or you hand over the inside of the bag. You'll need soap to get the grease/fat off completely. They put that on there so cats will eat the corn/wheat that makes up the bulk of cat kibble.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son brought home a stray about 10 months ago, he can only eat human food if he eats to much cat food he gets sick and i spent days cleaning up the carpets after him. CAts are meat eaters, just watch the bones, albeit, Cody love pork, and stake bones.
    witchymomslove

Answer by witchymomslove at 6:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Cats will eat ANYTHING, but they absolutely love meat-especially those with direct wild ancestors-I have Maine Coon. He will any type of meat except hamburger---along with pumpkin bread, french fries, ice cream, chips, eggs, actually there isnt much he wont eat. Just be aware that your cat may be a bit hesitant to go back to mushy cat food after he has been treated to some delicous turkey.
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Make sure there's no bones.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 11:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i dont see why you couldnt give the cat some turkey....my cat loves it and she is quite picky.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• This cat is picky too! LOL I have bought her some single servings of different flavors of moist food and found out chicken flavor is'nt one of her favorites!
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010