Prednisone and insomnia?

I hurt my back, I have Scoliosis, an "S" curve and a bulging disc from about 2 years ago. The other day I woke up in horrible pain, so I have no idea what I did. Anyway, I went to the doctors and they gave me 2 injections. One was for pain and one was a steroid. Now they have me on a pain pill, a muscle relaxer and Prednisone. Can Prednisone cause insomnia?? I have only been getting about two hours sleep a night since I started them. I am exhausted, but can't sleep.

Can anybody help??

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Health

• Yes. Tell your doctor about your pain and insomnia he may perscribe ambien or lunesta for short term relief. I have anoxic brain injury and do not go into rem sleep. I use ambien 5mg and I sleep. It is a non-narcotic available short term medical tool. I hope you find some relief pain and no sleep is terrible.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Steroids can cause all kinds of problems. My son and I both go nuts on it. We are like a ball bouncing off walls all the time. The only thing I can suggest is tylenol with a sleep aid in it
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 3:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, insomnia is a very common side effect with any steroid - I'm surprised your dr didn't mention it.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes my DH used to say he couldn't sleep when he was taking it.It also made him gain weight(fluid retention),irritable, Hope you get some relief soon.:)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• predisone can make people hyper my 4 year old had to take it for pneumonia and he would go beserk for an hr after the dose
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 7:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010