How can I find jeans long enough for my tiny daughter?

HELP!!! Okay, now this has turned into a major problem! My seven year old daughter is very thin. Finding clothes to fit her has always been difficult, but this year it is impossible. She goes to a private school that requires spirit shirts and pants. They are allowed to wear jeans(no holes or fraying), stretch pants, etc. A children's 6 slim in jeans (can't find slim in any other kind of pant) will stay on her waist if I pull the elastic on both sides all the way to the last button and put a belt on her(which she hates) but they are several inches too short. A seven slim is long enough but swallows her whole from the thighs all the way up - I don't even think I could find a good seamstress that could take those up. She has tried on and I have returned over 40 pairs of pants - I am not exaggerating at all! We did keep keep a few of the 6 slims and she wears them tucked in her boots, but she can't wear that look everyday. She wants cute jeans and warm-ups like she sees others wear, but I am at a complete loss.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you in advance!
Libby

kooter85

Asked by kooter85 at 4:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So she doesn't have to wear jeans.

I saw that Target has leggings (tights) that are designed to look like jeans. If she MUST wear jeans those are tight. But why not avoid jeans? And leggings are great.
    You can sew stuff~
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Maybe try Jeggings ?
    wentworth99

Answer by wentworth99 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If you can find pants with an elastic waist where the elastic is running in a tube of the waistband, you can have a seamstress take in or replace the elastic with a smaller piece to slim the waist. I also found directions on adding an adjustable waist to any pants you want: http://www.kundhi.com/blog/2009/11/24/how-to-add-adjustable-elastic-to-kids-pants-in-5-easy-steps/
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Our younger daughter had this problem. Our solution was to decorate her jeans and add a couple of inches with extra fabric. We would add touches of it to the back pockets or front pocket seams. Sometimes really wide ribbon works. I don't have photos of hers, but here are some I found online.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 7 and ultra thin also. Fortunately she is happy to wear jeans most of the time. Other alternatives are skorts with thick tights. We don't find a lot of places that have anything besides jeans in 'slim' but we are able to find a lot of pants that have an adjustable waist band. She just has to live with baggy thighs and butt when we buy the adjustable waistbands. One place we have bought her khakis though in 'slim' is Wal-Mart. The LEI brand has slims.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would look in your local paper for a seamstress - I know it is not option you want, but it may be the only way. My daughter was too short for most clothing & most of her life I have had to have everything altered. I found a seamstress in my neighborhood who charged reasonable prices. Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 5:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010