What do you think of people who do this?

Say things like "Hyenas are from South America" and they aren't kidding

or don't know what country the city of London is in...or think London IS a country of itself?

or has never heard of famous monuments like Eiffel Tower?

or know more about a fantasy world (books or games) than their own?

It makes me kinda sad that the supposedly most intelligent species on the planet knows so little about basic things. And these are people that could lead us and run nations or be in control of things we eat or drive.

Only excusing the elderly whose minds and memories tend to go, which is natural.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Having those "blond" moments is one thing. But, not knowing BASIC geography is just plain stupid. Basic grammar is another thing people are ignorant of. I hate double negatives. Education is also the parents' responsibilty for their children. Many parents just don't care or won't get involved in their childrens' lives. Shameful.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 1:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I've seen programs that go out on the street & ask random people questions that they should know, but they dont. It's comical & sad all at the same time. It starts back in grade school or middle school, when doing your best & getting good grades is considered bad, geeky or nerdy by your peers. I will never understand that one! I bet Bill Gates was teased for being a geek or nerd, but who's having the last laugh now?!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I find it far more distressing than humorous. We're a society that is supposed to be educated so that we can vote intelligently. This is the reason we spend billions of dollars on public education. Having a population of clearly uneducated people indicates to me that we are wasting our money. Comical shows also don't do us any favors as they communicate our public's lack of education to the rest of the world. It only strengthens the stereotype of Americans being fat, lazy, and ignorant.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• LOL It is very amusing and a little scary on shows like who wants to be a millionaire.  Mind you, Regis is a moron himself.  I'll never forget the time he asked a contestant if they had a phone a friend who was good with "past current events".  Yeah Regis, there is a word for that, it's called HISTORY!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• "Past current events?" LOL.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• when I watch those shows Im pretty good at getting the question right, but I bet if someone walked up to me pointing a camera in my face and asked me a basic question, I would probably get it wrong. I am bad under pressure like that.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have to wonder why kind of education they got and who failed more, them or their teachers.

We have a new country each month and the kids learn the capital, location, interesting facts, etc. We learn about the culture there and sample foods from that country. It's a lot of fun and kids of all ages enjoy it (I've done it my preschool classroom, while teaching an afterschool program and now for my own kids in middle and high school).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think "thank God i'm not the only one who has blonde moments"!!! LOL
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Ya i was one of those geeks. I never understood why being a dumb jock or drunken party animal was considered so cool and being knowledgable was so bad. They didn't see the bigger picture (the future for themselves), I guess.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• how about a quizz show with the stars
    now THAT i would watch
    guess they could not get stars to do that, or only smart ones would ge on, no agent would allow their client to take part if they are an idiot, no matter how bad their star power has faded
    but that would be fun to watch
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2010