Why do so many women depend solely on a man to take care of them?

A lot of women wonder why there SO's treat them so wrong, and the only answer to that question is that women allow it. When you depend on a man to do everything for you they know you have no where else to go, or people to turn to so they take advantage of you and your situation. If you're in a relationship with anyone you should be able to stand on your own if anything were to go wrong or get rocky in your relationship.

NATTY567

Asked by NATTY567 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• AMEN!!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Wow, what away to cast judgment on those that have decided WITH their DH/SO to be SAHM!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:09 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I am proud to be a SAHM. I have a job, it is raising my children the best way I know how, better than any day care can. Why is it that so many women are intimidated by a mans role to be a provider and then neglect their children by having a stranger raise their babies so they can work and feel like they are contributing. I contribute. I clean all day, I cook 3 sometimes 4 meals a day, I pack lunches, I wipe tears, I give baths, I give advice, I give love, I give all day long. If you are in a faithful, Godly relationship there should be no reason for you to have to "stand on your own". You husband is supposed to be the man of the house. IMO
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I am about to be a SAHM and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I can stand on my own two feet but my husband and I have decided it would be best for me to stay at home with our baby for the first several years. I have a degree and I can take care of myself, I did before I met my husband. If you can afford it and it is what you and your husband agree upon then it is really no one else's business. I would have to agree with navy-wife and SAHMinIL. My husband also has his own business so I will be able to take so much of the work off him so the baby and I can spend more time with him. Not everyone that is a SAHM is in the same situation.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think because some women were encouraged to go to college and get an education BEFORE having kids. I have 2 brothers and they were all expected to go to college I was the youngest and the only girl and my father told me that I didn't need to go to college. I just needed to get married and have kids. I am now 40 years old with 4 kids and I almost divorced my husband 2 years ago but we couldn't afford to split up because he didn't make enough money and I could find a job because no one wants to hire someone who has no education and hasn't had a job in 10 years. My husband is now unemplyed due to a layoff and I am living off of my student loan refund as long as I can. I am finally trying to get an education so that I have a CHOICE as to whether or not I stay with my husband or take my kids and leave.
    Anonymous

• wow i'm a sahm and my husband is wonderful we've been together for 10 years and he;s the best just resently i had a very hard pregnancy so he took a leave of absence just to take care of me and yes he cooks and cleans and does luandry and changes diapers and i also do the same its a give and take thing and even though hes the sole porvider for this family he treats me just fine!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think a lot of you are missing the point! She's not bashing SAHM's but, is asking why more women stay in bad relationships and aren't more self ..sufficient? All women should be able to support themselves without a man. In the event your SO abuses you, cheats on you or anything else that you deem unforgivable or God forbid they should die or become disabled.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 1:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I don't feel he takes care of me, we work together. He works outside the home to provide for his family and I work at home with our children and taking care of the home. I also work with my oldest on his occupational therapy and speech goals, drive him 200 to 300 miles a week for his therapies and help him with his educational goals he's having difficulty with at school. And, I'm educated and could find a job to support myself if that day ever comes.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Finally! someone took their time to READ and UNDERSTAND the question! amydh thanks for comprehending.
    ms.busybody

Answer by ms.busybody at 1:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I have been a SAHM for almost 5 yrs, and no where did I see the poster direct this towards SAHM's. I take it as she is talking about self confidence, assertiveness, and trusting yourself to make decisions on your own. I was kind of surprised to scroll down through the answers and see everyone talking about SAHM's.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 1:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2008