"I said I'd get it, honey."

We were splitting up the chores this morning, as we normally do and my husband said that while I did one chore, he'd start the bacon for breakfast. So, I'm in the middle of something and the timer goes off. DH is on the computer. I waited a few minutes and he did not get up. I finally went into the kitchen to continue making breakfast. Hubby sayd "I said I'd get it honey."
He does this frequently. I'll be doing something and I'll hear the baby and ask if he can get him. DH says yes, but then doesn't get off the computer! When I go to get the baby, he says "I said I'd get it honey." Or he'll say he will do something, then he doesn't and he says "I said I'd get it, honey." I feel like yelling "THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU!!!"
Anyone else's DH do this? How do you handle it? Can you ever get them to do what they say they will do without waiting forever?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Hah!! Sounds just like mine!! My favorite is when i've been reminding him that the trash needs to go out for hours because it is overflowing. Finally I get so sick of not being able to throw anything away and I do it myself (very noisy so he knows what i'm doing lol) and he is like "Oh I was just about to do that". YEAAAAA SURE YOU WERE!!! I haven't really found a way to get it done any quicker but he's gotten a bit better about it since i've been pregnant. If you find any thing that works do let me know! lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have started saying "What's wrong with right now" or "I know you said you'd get it, but then you didn't and it needed to be done, so that's why I stepped in". Or "Did you want me to start this, because I thought you said you were going to?' Sometimes I think, we have such little time and lots of things to get done that we know we can't dilly-dally, and they don't feel the same urgency that they do. It's hard to just let it go, but I've been trying to do that.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:57 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Mine dh does the same thing. They will say they will do it just to apease you doesn't mean they really are going to do it.
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 9:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Ahh, this actually sounds like something I do. ..not with a baby or anything like that (mine is now 3) but with everything else. "I'll do it, Honey" and I just never get up...

I wonder why I do that? Maybe I say I'll do it just so I wont have to hear him complain while doing it?? I don't know...

Hmm...
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yes
    most men think that things/chores/kids can all be on his schedule
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Mine does it too though not so much anymore. I started doing it back to him. He understands a little better now how things work more smoothly if we each do half.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, actually all the time. However, it usually isn't instantaneously either. It usually is ten minutes or more before he'll get to what he says he will do or he'll say he accidentally forgot is an excuse too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't ask him to do anything, simple. It's too much stress waiting for him to do it on his time frame. It's easier just to get it done myself and avoid the b.s.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes. He does, and then when I do whatever it is, he gets mad at me cause he said he'd get it! Then I get mad, and it's just a mess. If only he'd have gotten it when he said he would. Power struggle is what it is. He doesn't want to do what I ask WHEN I ask because then I win the power struggle. He'll do it when HE'S ready to do it. But, when I ask him to do something, I need him to do it then, or soon after. Not hours after. Not 20 min later.

Orionsgirl, they know that if they wait long enough, you will just do it. And if they screw up enough, we will just stop asking. This way, they get out of helping out!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• are you talking 10 seconds or 10 minutes?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2010