How did your little one handle a new baby in the house?

I'm expecting my second in March, I have a two year old & I'm scared he'll feel less loved. :/

Valeriieee

Asked by Valeriieee at 8:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My four year old has adjusted perfectly to my new LO. He loves his little brother and I have not detected one ounce of jealousy. Me on the other hand am having a very hard time adjusting to two. I don't bring it up to scare just to have you prepared, although you may be perfectly fine. I wish someone had told me that it might be a difficult thing to adjust to. I had not one worry about having two when i was pregnant, I thought to myself I'm a seasoned mom I will be fine. Well, I didn't bond even close and as fast as I did with my first. I found myself just missing the one on one I had with my first...And felt so terribly guilty for no reason because my 1st son was fine!!! I still struggle with it but I had and have PPD. But as the baby gets older and more independent you slowly get your life back and things go back to normal. CON'T
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I know you didn't ask for all that haha, and I don't want to be negative or scare you I just thought it was relevant and I wish someone had told me. Your older one will be fine and just remember you are giving them the best gift you could ever give. Just remember to set aside one on one time regularly and keep their feelings in mind.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I ALWAYS LET MY KIDS RUB MY BELLY AND WHEN I GOT HOME WITH THE BABY I TRY TO LET THEM HELP ME WITH THE BABY
    mommaslilgirl

Answer by mommaslilgirl at 9:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It was never a problem with our children, and it hasn't been a problem with any of our grandchildren. I think the key is the parents. If they are excited about having a new member of the family, then the children will follow suit. Make it an anticipated event for the family and the other children will be fine. At least, that's been my experience.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:27 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son kisses my belly, waves & says "Hi baby" or "My baby brother" so I think he's excited. I just worry a lot. He'll be happy to have someone to play with.
    Valeriieee

Comment by Valeriieee (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Make sure he is made to feel special. Ask him to help with the baby like handing you a diaper, burp cloth, etc. Spend one on one time with him. The best advice I got when my second was born was to focus on the older child first. Everything fell into place after that because my oldest didn't feel threatened then and actually wanted to be with the baby. Relax, you can do it! GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My daughter was two when my son was born. For his entire pregnancy, I agonized over how she would feel, I also couldn't imagine loving another as much. I cried about it, I swear, lol...I thought I was ruining her life. So silly to think about now.... As it turned out there were absolutely NO issues whatsoever. She loved her baby brother from the first day, loved "helping" with him, etc. During my pregnancy I always kept it positive for her, that him coming was a good thing, despite my worries.

It wasn't until he started walking and taking her toys until the problems began ;) Fast foward 3 years, she's 5 and they are best buds...yes, they fight like cats and dogs too, makes me nuts! but they also love eachother and play together all day long.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Be careful about saying he will have a playmate. That won't be the case until quite some time later.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:49 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I had my 1 year old when my oldest was just 3 months from being 3. It was really tough for the first 5-6 months. She regressed ALOT. She is just NOW getting better at most of the things she regressed on. She loves her baby sister especially now that she is a 1 and crawling and can play some now with her. We still have some things we have to explain to her. We cant do that because sissy is still too little etc. It's getting better but it's still a work in progress.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I bought many big brother/ sibling books and checked out some from the library. Got out the baby swing and high chair in which my son would play with his puppy doll in- we wrapped the puppy in a baby blanket that was my son's and I was teaching him how to hold babies and what babies do.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010