At what age do you tell or do kids find out there is no Santa?

swrockhead

Asked by swrockhead at 5:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it is an individual thing. My oldest figured it out/kids told him at school when he was 6 or 7. My youngest still truly believed until he was 10...but would not say there isnt a Santa "just in case" They are 25 and 21 and I have NEVER said to them there isn't a Santa. I will be 46 next week and my Mother has never said to any of us there wasn't a santa. It becomes more about the spirit of the tale. Sorry this is long. My sister is married to a major nerd/brain they never told their kids about Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy..none of it. Her 15yr old DD told me last summer that it made her feel like an outsider with the other kids.
    Anonymous

• my son is 7 and we had this conversation last year....i think that he knows there is no santa, but wants to still believe just in case....by the end of the conversation, he said "i still want to believe in him, okay mama?" i told him that was fine....i think he just doesnt want to let go of the fairy tale....but he really knows the truth
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• They'll figure it out on their own... a lot of kids pretend to still believe in Santa b/c they're afraid you'll stop giving them gifts if they tell you they know he's not real. Depending how old your kids are, just ask them... if they're still pretty young, don't say anything yet.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• We told our kids last Christmas. Connor was almost 8 and David was almost 6. Connor had been really suspicious anyway, asking lots of questions because of other kids telling him there was no Santa. We told them the story of St.Nicholas and how he was the real Santa Claus but he died a long time ago and that's how we broke the news. David was sort of bummed out until he realized he would still get presents, but now he knows they come from Mommy and Daddy. Connor already had a sneaking suspicion so he wasn't really surprised or upset. Oh, BTW, Anonymous, just because some people choose not to tell their kids about Santa, Easter Bunny etc. doesn't mean they're a nerd brain or their kids will be screwed up or traumatized. I know lots of kids who have never believed in Santa and they are just fine. It's a personal choice every parent makes whether or not to tell their kids about Santa and noone else's. We've never done the Easter Bunny and my kids don't give a rip.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Iv'e always said Santa was an angel sent fromjesus and that's how he knows if they ar egood or bad, I have never told my kids that he was really a person, I told them that he did live along time ago, so i never really lied and my oldest now 10 is starting to get it a bit nowbut when he asks I just say the same thing Santa is a spirit not a person. but I still have my 8yr old my 2 yrold and my new baby that still believe. actually my 2 yr old is in love with santa she says she's gonna marry him.lol
    momof3blue1pink

Answer by momof3blue1pink at 10:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I don't think there is any good time. But until my kids start asking questions that is when I will say something. My son will be 10 in November and he still believes. that's all that matters. Santa to me is really just a blessing that we are able to have gifts. There have been Christmas' where I could only afford to give 2 gifts each to them. They were still happy. I've taught them that it doesn't matter what you get for Christmas under the tree it is what you have already everyday.
    adhd8yoand3yo

Answer by adhd8yoand3yo at 10:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My 8 year old knows theres no Santa because my ex told him without even discussing it with me :(. But he knows he still gets gifts and I think he appreciates them more now because he knows they come from me/us. I also have to say as a Christian I think it's very important that our children know what these holidays really mean. Ex: Christmas is about Jesus's birth and we celabrate that day evey year knowing that he died for our sins. Easter is about Jesus as well, not the easter bunny. My son knows thses things but also enjoys the modern day fun of it all. And halloween is just a day to dress up, have fun, and get candy. I do not believe it is in any way a evil day, no matter what some fanantics may try to convince us of. I will not post this anonymously because I don't really care who I make mad becasue I talked about Jesus, God Bless you, your children, and all of your familys. Shiloh1976 :)
    Shiloh1976

Answer by Shiloh1976 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I was so furious to find out my brother 21 actually still believed in Santa as something that was real not in spirit as a story. I felt ashamed and kind of embarrassed for about a day. So to teach him a lesson we didnt do stockings or presents from santa last year. I didnt want someone laughing at him or anything if the subject came up. He was very......passionate about believing. Unfortunately for me i found out very young. I guess he never realized because it was done for so long. I felt bad for getting mad and having all those feelings. I think it does come with time but i also think that they should also understand after awhile that Santa isnt someone who doesnt come down the chimmney. I would say around 13 -14 you know.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• A part of my 19 year old daughter's myspace page:

I BELIEVE IN God, love, my horoscope, my zodiac, Santa, the Toothfairy, the Easter bunny {they exist! they just happen to be my mother}.

I'm sure she was only referring to me under the Santa/Tootfairy/Easter Bunny scenerio.
    idahospaz

Answer by idahospaz at 11:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• As soon as they figured it out on their own. my oldest figured it out at 6 years old. My 6 year old right now hasn't figured it out yet.
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 8:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2008