Is aer the right way to go?

I am a new army wife I married my husband 3 months ago and he got deployed 1 month ago. For the next year I will be a single mom of his 4 kids and my 1 when she comes to visit. Everything has been a struggle since we got married. I dont know much about the army ways but not liking things so far. With him being overseas we are trying to buy groceries for both locations and seem to be struggling to do so. His new command will not turn on his travel card and he is staying in a hotel till he can get an apartment, which will hopefully be the 2nd. He has to pay 1st months rent out of pocketand we have to wait to get reimbursed. Since he just found out he cant use the travel card and has to have it paid off by the 15th, he has to pay for the hotel out of pocket and wait to get reimbursed. This will be our whole paycheck and we still have our regular bills to pay. I have been searching for a job since we mooved in September with no luck. Even Target said they ca't hire me right now. We havent began getting our seperation pay yet, which would help and on top of all the other bills I am struggling in the states to make ends meet. I dont want my husband to go without food nor do I want the kids to. Would getting help from aer be a smart way to go? Just to get over this current hurdle we seem to be going thru. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

newarmywife555

Asked by newarmywife555 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• First stop should be AER, to see about a loan to tide you over. You will probably need your power of attorney.

After that, your husband needs to get on the ball with his payroll department. TLA (Temporary Lodging Allowance) needs to be submitted in ten day increments, and the reimbursement usually comes within 10 days of being submitted.

Also, when he signs his lease, he should be able to request advance OHA (Overseas Housing Allowance) for the first month's rent and security deposit. The first month's rent part can come out of his paycheck and in most overseas locations, the security deposit part can be deferred until he moves out and gets his security deposit back. He will also get MIHA (move in housing allowance) for all the stuff that he needs to get the apartment set up, though that won't show up until his paycheck.

Once he gets settled, he will get OHA, a utility allowance, and COLA every month. COLA will be b
    KateKashman

Answer by KateKashman at 11:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I imagine aer is Army Emergency Relief. That is what it is there for. By going you might find others going through the same situation. They might be able to give you ideas to help with your problem.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• More...

After he gets settled, he will get OHA, a utility allowance, and COLA every month. COLA will be backdated to the time he gets into the country.

Once you get over this hurdle, learn about your benefits and more about the military. Your nearest Army post will offer AFTB (Army Family Team Building) classes that will teach you the acronyms, more about the military, and you'll meet some new people. You'll learn how to read a Leave and Earnings Statement, how to work Tricare, etc.

Also, check at your post to see if they offer free child care for you. It sounds like your husband is unaccompanied and not on a deployment, so I don't know if you qualify, but ask. If you aren't near a post, check with the YMCA program. http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2010/04/25/free-ymca-for-certain-groups/

You might also find these websites helpful: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com
    http://www.spousebuzz.com

Good
    KateKashman

Answer by KateKashman at 11:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would go talk to them and see. Sometimes with AER, you can get a grant and sometimes it is a loan. If you do get a loan, just be sure to pay the money back as soon as you get reimbursed. I am kind of confused about him being deployed and living in a hotel and getting an apartment. Do you mean that he is stationed in Germany or Italy? If so, why isn't he living in the barracks until they can give him housing?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• tootoobusy-
    He got deployed to Kuwait and they had barraks there which he was able to stay in, after being there a week they sent him to Bahrain for the rest of his tour and they dont have a place to stay on base. He has to stay in a hotel till the housing department could approve an apartment building for him, they had to do checks to make sure there wasn't already too many military living in a building he choose. All this pay now and wait for reimbursment is runing us dry from paying our other bills and supporting our family.
    Thank you for your feedback
    newarmywife555

Comment by newarmywife555 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• katekashman-
    Thank you so much for the info. I hate being in the dark about all this. Do you aquire this information from experiance or is there someplace I can learn more about military ways?
    newarmywife555

Comment by newarmywife555 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2010