She refuses food!

My 17 m/o DD has an ear infection and is on a strong antibiotic.
I know this will decrease appetite, but in 4 days she hasn't had anymore than a few bottles of formula(which take even a while to drink and they are only 6 oz), sippy's of water or milk/juice & a few bites of arrowroot cookie, yogurt and not much else.
I've tried everything from letting her eat by herself, feeding her, to almost forcing her to at least take one bite. she refuses to eat.
Today I figured I'd make her a yogurt "smoothie" by blending milk and blueberry yogurt together into a milkshake like consistency, she's had 2 sips!!!
DH went and got her "timbits" @ tim Hortons because thats a fave treat, and she wouldnt eat them.
She's even started throwing herself on the floor when we offer food or drink.
What can I do??!!

Also when she starts eating again, what can I do to help her gain a little weight? She's weighed the same te last 3 times she was weighed , and one of the last times being Oct 3rd, she's not gained so much as an oz.

Am I doing something wrong??
Should she still weigh 19 lbs 4 oz??

Why is she not gaining? The nurse said maybe a fast metabolism

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 10:32 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If your doctor doesn't seemed concerned about her not gaining OVERALL, then I wouldn't worry too much yet. As for right NOW, I'm not sure how you can force her to eat...but just offer her nutritious foods as much as you can and let her eat what she wants. When the antibiotic is done, she should get back to normal. I would say for now the most important thing is to keep her well hydrated. If the meds are making her nauseated, you may also want to avoid dairy and anything else that is hard to digest. The BRAT diet, which is recommended for diarrhea, is bland food which are easy to digest. They include bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast. (Hence; BRAT...haha). As for helping her gain weight after the meds are over, give her healthy fats like almond butter and avacado, whole grains, and fruit. (Veggies are good too, but don't have many calories.) For more of a boost, you can use a dietary supplement drink. I like the...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• one from Nature's One organic just because A) It's organic and B) It's mixed with water increase of milk, so even though it's ten bucks a can or so... it is less costly in the long run than other mixes because buying milk for them PLUS other things, is pricey. If you don't have a health food store nearby and don't want to wait to order online (Naturesone.com) then they do sell things like pediasure in most stores. My cousin said her doctor suggested Carnation Instant breakfast for calories...but it does have a lot of sugar which isn't fattening but also isn't good for them. That is your call. The formula is a good thing so long as it's not upsetting her tummy since it has a lot of calories, so if she will take that, try and make sure she has some at all times until the meds are completed. If she continues to avoid food even after they are stopped, I would see a doctor to see what's up. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• That should be INSTEAD of milk...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• When my son was sick he didn't eat either for about a week. As long as she's drinking fro know she'll be fine. You said she eats yogurt have you mixed baby oatmeal in with it. It gives her her some vitamins. If the meds are making her not hungry you know the reason and I wouldn't worry until she's off the meds. Talk to your doctor about her weight but while she's sick it'll go down thats expected.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The doctor isn't concerned about h er weight, they say her metabolism must be fast because she's healthy and growing, she's always playing and happy.
    DH is the one who is worried....he seems to THINK she is getting skinnier..but she's just NOT GAINING
    AshleyRoseG

Comment by AshleyRoseG (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If the Dr isn't worried about her not gaining then you shouldn't either, just keep a watch on it yourself and if you notice she still isn't gaining or starts to lose weight then I'd say something to the DR. I keep track of my youngest every time we go to the DR because he has a problem with growth. The Dr has done test and sent us to an endocrinologist because his growth hormone test came back really low.  this was after sending us the the hospital because my really small baby started losing weight. he is currently 1 yr old and is about the size of a 4 or 5 month old. 

eekenney1980

Answer by eekenney1980 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010