PETS...What happens after baby?

So I have an adorable cat that I have had for 8 years. He is my best friend (of course probably same level as the hubby). Once I thought that I might be pregnant he confirmed it by following me around and loving on me even more. He won't lay on my tummy anymore and I think that is because he is mad at the baby already.

When my neice was born 7 years ago and I was babysitting her at my house, she was in her car seat sleeping not even making a noise and he walked up and hissed at her. So my question is has anyone had a pet like this that wanted their owner and hated kids? It is just getting to the point that him and my neice can be in the same room at the same time. I don't want to get rid of him by any means but we have been wondering if we are going to end up having to lock him up while the baby is out. I have a lot more time to go before the baby comes, but I'm worried about him too.

Thanks for any advice.

lc20101782

Asked by lc20101782 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Wait and see how he is with your baby. My parents had a cat that was literally like a child to them when I was born. He would go on car rides for ice cream, sleep with them etc. Anyways, when I was born he would sleep in my crib, like a watch cat. No jealousy or negative behavior.
    Just give him a chance.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Both our dogs take over watching our kids they whine when their sad and guard them. Our oldest has the German shepherd that just loves her like crazy and our son has the dochsond lol it's cute. But what we did is when we had both of them we wrapped them in a blanket (we just bought like a Cheap one at the dollar store) then once it had their scent on it my husband brought it home to them so they knew their scent it seemed to work.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Wait and see how she is with the baby - you never know. I would never leave the baby unattended with the cat of course. I've had two different experiences;

My chow was 2 when I had my oldest, from the minute I brought him home from the hospital, Chan (the dog :) stood guard over DS. Wherever DS was, Chan was right there. He would nuzzle him, never licked or pawed him - it mists me up remembering that 100 pound dog being so gentle and loving toward a 6-pound baby.

We bought a puppy when my DS was about a year old (just before he was walking well.) The puppy was great, but as my DS started being more mobile, the dog started urinating on his toys. He also started being aggressive (not biting, but knocking him over). We got rid of the dog. Pets are wonderful, but never at the expense of a child.

It really depends on the animal, I think. Best of luck to you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i have a cat that hates my daughter. he just ignores her most of the time . he will walk up to her for no reason sometimes hiss and then walk away but he never tries to hurt her. my other cats i had when my daughter was born werent kid friendly either but they just avoided her so i never had any problems.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My one cat Gypsy was pissed when son was born. But I would let her sit next to me on the couch when feeding my son. I would lay on the couch with him on my chest and Gypsy would lay her head on his butt. It worked out. My cats when I had my daughter were ok. My one cat Sascha was soo maternal, so she loved daughter right away. My other cat just ignored her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:55 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• First of all, adopting an animal is a lifelong partnership. You cant just "give it away". It breaks my heart to hear people say that.. like they dont mean anything... just give it to someone else, they wont know the difference... gr. anyway..
    Secondly, I had a chihuahua (who was attached at my hip, that I took everywhere), and 2 cats. It never occured to me to give them away. You deal with the problems they bring. make sure your pet knows that you still love him, give him attention, and let him check out the baby stuff as you bring it in. If you make him feel like he is part of it, it may not be as hard.
    And all 3 of my pets are AMAZING with DD. It just takes patience, vigilance, and knowledge on how to make them coexist.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010