Is it bad that I want someone to watch my baby every other day?

I have postpartum depression and my husband is deployed. all my family lives 3000 miles away. i have an almost 5 month old son and i feel like i just can't handle him. does it make me a bad mom because i want others to take care of him 3 or 4 days a week? my friend will watch him (and has watched him) for 9 hours a day for $20 a day during the week.

HKittyCrzy

Asked by HKittyCrzy at 10:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• No. If you need help with him because of your PPD, you're being a good mom finding the help you need.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It does not make you a bad mom, but it is something that needs to be addressed. Maybe you could stay with your friend and see how she handles him. What do you do for nine hours without him?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:38 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• during my hubbys first deployment (we were about 1200 miles from all family) i had a 1yr old and had a baby about a month and a half into it, i would send them to hourly day care or a sitters at least twice a week. during that time i was getting my errands done and going to therapy (i also had ppd very very bad). therapy really does help with it. now i am almost done with our 3rd deployment with 4 kids. if you need to talk feel free to message me. also like others said maybe spend the day with your friend and your baby so that way you are still with your baby but if it becomes to much you have someone there to help a bit while you gather yourself.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You need to get help, theirs nothing wrong with your feelings but you need to address them ASAP.Find support group, talk to Dr.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's wrong, if you are using this time to work on yourself & treat/deal with your depression. It can't go on like this forever, do what you need to now so you can get things back the way they should be. You may not have an opportunity like this again, so make good use of it. Good luck
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Bad no but something that needs to be addressed yes. A break here and there is great for mommies, but babies need to be with mommy to bond. So take the needed break while you try to get help but dont leave it unattended because thats not fair to your baby.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Nope, you don't have your hubby here, parenting is a 2 person tag team job. Thank GOD you have the friend you can trust!!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes get help. Get help with the baby and make sure your PPD is being treated by a doctor. Send the baby away won't make the PPD go away. Maybe have her keep him at home with you for a few days and at her house a few days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Could you have her watch the baby and care for him but you stay and just plap with him and read to him that way you are spending time with him but not dealing with anything else/??
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You have PPD, you are trying to figure out some way to keep your balance so that you and dd can be safe and happy. That makes you a good mom. Every family has to figure out their way. It may come to be that you need less time than you thought. You can use that time to run errands, get help etc. Work on you and being a good mom.
    Good for realizing you need help.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010