how to handle a library-time bully?

My daughter and I enjoy going to our neighborhood's library for a free "tiny tales story hour" for babies ages 6 mos. to 24 mos. Only yesterday, at the start of a new session for the month, a mom brought along her older toddler with her baby. When it was play time, the older toddler went crazy, rough housing with all of the toys and other kids. At one point, he shoved my 16 mo. old daughter because she picked up a block that was nearby him. His mom was on the other side of the room having a social hour! Right then, it was time to clean up and go home, and I have to admit that I didn't do anything besides comfort my own child. I was shocked!! But this is ridiculous, it's supposed to be babies only, probably in part for this very reason.

I am new to the playgroup thing, so how do other moms handle these situations? Do you approach the librarian? Approach the mom? Sign my baby up for kick boxing lessons instead?

oceanlover84

Asked by oceanlover84 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep kickboxing in mind for a couple of years from now. It (or any martial art) will build huge self-condidence and discipline in your little girl as well as give her a valuable (and sadly necessary) life skill.

For now, you can take your choice over approaching the other mom or the staff. I know it's supposed to be little ones only but that is really hard for moms with kids in two age ranges. If he acts this badly again, take your crying child over to her and calmly let her know that her child is hitting and pushing the smaller children and ask her to take him aside until he calms down. If she won't, then approach the staff and ask them to intervene.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Kick boxing would be my choice...heehee. Generally when a mother is not watching her child, I take the child to her and let her know that "little Bully,I mean Billy " is causing problems and needs some mommy time. It gently forces the mother to take charge of the situation.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008