Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I take them to the ER or wait until tomorrow?

My two daughters (ages 20 months and almost 3 years) had fevers from Wednesday morning to Friday around noon. Yesterday, they were fine. Then, last night, my 3 year old refused to go to bed and screamed for almost an hour. She's never done this before, but I thought since she hadn't had a nap yesterday and she was really tired that it was because she had gotten overtired. After finally calming her down and getting her to sleep, she woke up a few times crying last night. This morning, she and my youngest woke up with a barking cough like they have bronchitis. Neither of them have fevers. Should I take them to the ER bc it's Sunday or should I wait to take them to their pediatrician tomorrow?

 
Kword

Asked by Kword at 11:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 27 (29,610 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Does your doctor offer an on call line? Maybe call and see what they say.
    IF you feel that they need to go in then by all means take them. Mothers always know best so if it will make you feel better take them
    Claudiomom

    Answer by Claudiomom at 11:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • If the fever is gone and it is a cough and they are not choking with the cough. I would probably wait until tomorrow. Fevers worry me much more than coughs.
    tootoobusy

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • If the fever persists, and you see more symptoms, then I would take them to the ER, use your momy instinct, you know best when something requires urgent care or not.
    older

    Answer by older at 11:10 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • I would take them in if you can. Alot of things are going around and maybe not safe to wait. You know when your child is not feeling good and out of sorts. I hope they get well soon and keep us posted. If you want to wait then make them as comfortable as possible with sleep, fluids like gaterade, hymdifier, prop their heads up to sleep, for coughs try minalax or even just honey helps. Try to run the hot water in your bathroom with the door closed and let them breathe the hot smeamy heat or air and that might help as well. Keep me posted .
    momindiana

    Answer by momindiana at 11:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • Got your note and glad your getting the kids checked. I will invite you so you can keep me posted.
    momindiana

    Answer by momindiana at 11:16 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • Great!!!
    tootoobusy

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • Glad you figured out what it was hun and now you can all feel better. Hugs
    Suzie2mom

    Answer by Suzie2mom at 3:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • They no longer have fevers and haven't since Friday. I called the dr's office answering service and they told me there is a walk-in clinic, so me and dh are getting ready to take them there. Thanks girls. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
    Kword

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • So, we took them to the clinic and found out both of them have bronchitis. I'm getting their script filled now. I'm glad I caught it early bc last time my oldest had bronchitis, she ended up in the ER bc she could barely breathe in the middle of the night.
    Kword

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • Thanks. :)
    Kword

    Comment by Kword (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN