How do I know if my baby has a food alergy?

What are the signs and symptoms of a food alergy?

SK1TTLeS

Asked by SK1TTLeS at 1:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if the baby has a lot of gas or diarreah, that's a sign of food allergy as well as a rash, swelling, hives, upset stomach, difficulty breathing and changing colors. Seizures are rare but I've heard of them too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• There are many, some of the most prominent would be a rash, swelling of the face and/or limbs, and in some extreme cases difficulty breathing due to the airway closing.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My daughter is allergic to cinnamon. When she was a baby she accidently got my hubby's cinnamon gum, and had blisters in and around her mouth. To make sure it was that, I took a teeny peice of the wrapper and put it on her back under a band-aid and checked it every few minutes. Sure enough, she started gettting a rash there. I told this story to her pediatrician to confirm, as well. She's five now, and if she has it accidentally gets it, the mildest she gets is diarrhea maybe and a rash around her mouth.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Mine has an egg and shell fish allergy. She got very very swollen in the face, and it spread to her neck and chest. She was in pain and crying (just turned one when we found out). A few weeks ago she was on Amoxicillian, and broke out into a full body rash. It didn't bother her, but looked terrible (is now 2)
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008