Have you had an amniocentesis

I am considering having amnicentesis...I am 11 weeks pregnant. What was your experience and would you recommend it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes,but I was 37 weeks. They were checking to see if his lungs were mature enough to deliver me.
    Its not as bad as I thought it would be. just a needle pick in the belly and a slight pressure as they draw out the fluid.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yes but I recommend a CVS instead. It's much easier.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 11:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Aren't their risk to having one in your early pregnancy? Might want to do some research on that.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I had one with my second son and I would not recommend it unless the doctor said it should be done and for a good reason. Although the test itself did not hurt much I had cramping afterward and there is a slight chance of miscarriage with this test. So think carefully before you do it!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I was supposed to have one before I had my second c-section- just to make sure the lungs were fully developed. However, when they were scanning before they found out there was absolutely no fluid left. Yeah, we delivered the next day! lol!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes I ended up having it done 2x with my last child (he did not cooperate the 1st time so they had to do it a 2nd time). The worst part (for me) was having to drink all the water and then have to 'hold it' for so long.... The actual procedure was a lot easier and did not hurt as much as I feared it would. What they did was rub topical gel on my stomach and then insert the needle and they had the ultrasound machine going so they could see the baby and see what they were doing. After the procedure I did feel a bit of cramping and I had bruises where they needle went in. (both times they had to try different spots and move the needle). It was something that I did want to do, and I am glad that I did it. Would I do it again- yes. But again- that is me. lf you are not sure about doing it then I suggest you talk to your ob/gyn find out the facts and then decide if it is something you want to do or not.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i did
    first the local doc tryed- she was NOT a good doc, tryed twice, moved needle when already in- very painful
    stopped then referred to doc in big city- a good one, a real doctor, i was scared, did not feel a thing

go to a doc that speciallizing in this!!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2010