How do I get my baby to take the bottle?

I have tried every bottle out there and every nipple that there is. I have tried cheapy bottles, airvent, dropins, nuk, tommee tippee. My most success is with the nuk and the tommee tippee. She starts to take them and then quits. My mom can get her to take the nuk after a fight, and I and daddy have gotten her to take the tommee tippee two days in a row and now she doesn't want it. She cries and gets mad and once she gets good and hungry gives up and takes it. I HAVE to work. It kills me to see her so upset and not eat. I am starting to produce less milk because pumping is not always an option. I am thinking that I need to just pick a nipple and stick with it. Changing nipples is confusing her. Then just be persistent and she will come around. Then once she takes the bottle start introducing formula. She HATES formula. Absolutely will not take a bottle w/formula. Am I right? Or am I doing something wrong? (changing nipples too much, introducing formula to fast?) I need help.

kissesbymom

Asked by kissesbymom at 12:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You really should have stayed with the nipples they gave you in the hospital. You shouldn't change much of anything with babies, they'll get stressed and will refuse everything.
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 12:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Also don't changed formula, or they way you mix it.
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 12:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• ok. so now that I have her confused and refusing stuff. what do I do? Should I stick with the tommee tipees that she seamed to like for two days and just not give up? Let her learn their feel etc. I never got nipples in the hospital and have never had trouble getting my babies to take a bottle before. Everyone kept telling me to try this, and try that, so I did. tell me she will come around if I don't give up and that I haven't totally screwed up and have to quit work so she will not starve while I'm gone.
    kissesbymom

Comment by kissesbymom (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Pick one........I'd say the tommee tipees.........and stick with it. Relax and be calm so she does the same. You have not screwed up! If I'm understanding correctly she is getting breastmilk too, so you could mix the formula 50/50 with the breastmilk and then go to more and more formula until she takes all formula.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yes. I'm giving her breast milk in the bottle because she will eventually take it but will refuse formula all day long no matter how hungry she is. I wish my mom and friends wouldn't have confused me. And I her. I feel terrible.
    kissesbymom

Comment by kissesbymom (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It's all a learning experience. Babies are very resilient. In the bottle mix the breastmilk and formula 50/50 for a couple of days, then 70/30 for a few, then 90/10 and so on until she is only on formula in the bottle. Be good to yourself and allow yourself a mistake here and there. Also, remind yourself of everything that goes right during each day. I had to do that and finally realized , yeah, I was doing an OK job!! hug Private message me if you want to .
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It's nothing you did, I promise. Some babies just NEVER take bottles. My first wouldn't take one if his life depended on it and my niece would just wait for her mom to get home from work.

The only thing you *can* do is try a bunch of different bottles because sometimes that works and baby clicks with a specific bottle. Sometimes it doesn't, though... So, you've done exactly what you're supposed to do.

If you're having trouble pumping at work and she won't take bottles anyway, have you thought about encouraging reverse cycling? Not sure how old she is... Just maximize nursing time while you are together (co-sleeping, lots of access in the evening, etc...) and she can get everything she needs when you are home. You can pump just a couple times a day and leave that with her and a regular cup or sippy with the valve removed in case she decides she wants a little something.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree with encouraging reverse cycling. She will NOT starve if she is making up for the missed feedings while you're together. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• And another thing... you need to be ABSENT. Not in the room. NO baby will starve herself. Many will go an entire day without taking a thing. If she SLEPT ten hours you'd be turning cartwheels, right? Your work day is the same thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010