My daughter won't eat anything that's healthy for her! :l

My 14 month old is sooooo picky. I can only get her to eat mashed potatoes, mac n' cheese, and grilled cheese. I've tried putting carrots in with her mac n cheese without her seeing and mashing it up real good and she always knows lol and anytime i try to give her something new it's like she knows what's going to going to be sweet versus what's going to be good for her and she picks the sweet stuff.

It's been like this for about 2 months now. She will absolutely not eat veggies..she will eat some fruits. I've tried tricking her in so many ways and she just won't do it.

She drinks all different types of juices and she drinks milk but she is a super picky eater.

What should I do? Is it going to hurt her in the long run? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well just try sticking to the healthy things she likes, or get new recipes that are her favorite things made different. I wouldn't recommend juice, since it really is just sugar and concentrate.
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• you can give her pediasure if you're worried she's not getting the vitamins, minerals & nutrients from food. she may just be having texture issues, lots of babies will tear up pureed fruits/veggies but when it's time for the real stuff they reject it cause it feels weird in their mouth. and most of the time pickyness is just a phase that passes with time. a lot of my kid's vegetables are consumed in casseroles and other meals where they can't see them. spaghetti sauce has a full serving of veggies in 1 cup. so does manwich i believe. have you tried giving her green salad? surprisingly that is my kids' favorite veggie, a green salad with a little bit of ranch dressing on it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Our boys pediatrician always said as long as their eating then just keep offering everything. Don't make them anything special, they eat what you eat. Fortunately our boys loved everything, so I never had a problem... Get rid of anything with sugar in it, she will crave sugar if you let her have it on a daily basis. A few days will pass and she won't crave it if she hasn't had it. GL.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My oldest is on the Autism spectrum and when he was little he had 'issues' with food. One thing I did was instead of giving him plain milk I mixed it with carnation instant breakfast - he loved drinking his "chocolate milk" (as we called it). I also used the stage 1 babyfoods to 'sneak' into his foods-- like a jar of carrots or squash mixed into his mac & cheese, applesauce mixed into oatmeal or cream of wheat....
    I kept making his favorite foods, kept offering him new foods and eventually he grew out of it. He is 14now he is a good eater and likes to try new foods.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• tweak what she will eat til she gets out of the food rut.

and FYI, mashed tatos are veggies!!!! Cut them w/ cauliflower, turnip puree, etc...

grilled cheese is easy to sneak stuff into like turkey.

Also let her help a little bit w/ a few things.... she can stir banana chunks into plain yogurt and then squeeze a little honey into it for example. a few age appropriate helping things. another example would be smashing up graham cracker bits to sprinkle over applesauce.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I only give my kids what I want to feed them. I would give the veggies first and not serve anything else until she eats them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• mine just turned 1 and is in that. all she wants is cheerios and crackers. the doctor told me it was a phase and that it would pass but to keep trying to give her foods. mine will usually respond to food better if it is on a plate and i am eating the exact same thing. sometimes if i hold her in my lap at the table that helps to. my oldest daughter did this too and to this day she is still super picky.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Kids can be picky but I never let my kids go hundry.I would continue to try different things. Maybe things that you can dip like carrots, apples, Besides vitaman I would get some of the kids ensure drinks and that might help with what she is missing. try making it fun like a fruit salad face or a veg. face. Ideas can be found on or in family fun mags. try a cookbook and let them help pick dinner or even play chef and let you help cook dinner might help. Just make it fun and do not give up. I just saw on tv that it takes sometimes ten tries with a food to see if like or not.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Make it fun! Try letting her dip things. DS will eat veggies when he can dip them into something. You can try hummus (she may not be a fan, but DS is), salad dressing, Greek yogurt... Dipping is fun when you're a kid. Have you tried giving her yogurt?
    DS eats what we eat, because that's his only option. We've never limited his flavors and spices, and he will even eat curries and other spicy foods. Fruits can be great. Apples are in season, and she can dip apple slices into peanut butter or a cinnamon & sugar blend. Finger foods are generally fun for kids that age. Make them into faces, use cookie cutters, anything to make it fun and appetizing for a kid.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Also, I have a friend whose kids will eat anything if she calls it cake. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010