My dd has a cold help?

My dd is 9 months old. She has a small fever of 100.8 runny nose and cough! I've been steaming up the bath room every few hours and we sit in there for 20 min or so. I have the cool mist humidifre running in her room. But I can't get her to drink hardly anything! I've given her water, juice, breast milk! She takes a few sips and cries! I think her throat hurts! Wat can I do for her throat? And any other tips to make her feel better without meds. Thanks ladies!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is probably crying because it's hard to eat/swallow with congestion. I put baby vicks on her feet. helps more than putting it on the chest. Also, don't lay her down flat. prop her up.
    Just keep offering liquids. Even small sips are good since they keep them from dehydrating. And as long as she is getting a wet diaper once in every 6 hours, she isn't dehydrating.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Ask your doctor if it's okay to give her Occilococcinum or Chestal (both by Boiron). There's a version that's for kids, but you should ask your doctor about it before giving to kids under 2. Stick with breast milk for now, as the antibodies will help heal her, and the calories and nutrients are highest, and when she's not eating or drinking much, you need to keep the nutrient content high. Don't give her honey or cold medicines. I know it's SO hard when your little one is sick, especially at that age, as they don't understand why they hurt. Hang in there, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• try maybe licking a cold popslice. I would try medicine if nothing else works. Ice might work. I would try to get her to doctor tomorrow to see what is going on.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• One thing that will help is rubbing, baby vicks vapo rub on her feet and then putting on white cotton socks, it works wonders while they are sleeping
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010