Should I rip DDs teacher a new one or what?? What would you do?

the day before school let out for the holidays my DD came home and told me that she had wet her pants in school today. She is in 1st grade and that doesn't happy much at all. And I asked her about it and she said that her teacher had told them before that day roughly that they would be penalized if they asked to go to the bathroom more than the 2 bathroom breaks they get each day. She said she was outside playing and was to scared to ask her teacher to go to the bathroom because the didn't want to change her behavior card from green to yellow (which means she would have been misbehaving). So she wet her pants then when she told the teacher the teacher told her that she couldn't go to the bathroom and would just have to wait until she got home to change. My child walked around for ab 2 hrs with wet clothes and the teacher didn't even call to ask me to bring new ones! I'm goin to talk to the principal first thing in the morning for sure!

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um, I would be scheduling an appointment with the principal and that teacher. If a mother did that, someone would call CPS for abuse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would! I don't think a child should be punished for needing to go to the bathroom.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'd for SURE have her switched classrooms to a teacher who did not have that same behavior program
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• holy crap, yah, I'd be ripping a stripe off the teacher, go right to the pricipal, YIKES!!! Seriously, that is horrible. Update us as to what happens!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my son is 6 and has a condition called FDU (frequent day time urination) it's a pain in the butt for his poor teacher but he's not messing around, his bladder muscles are telling his brain he has a full tank and is at risk of hurting himself or wetting his pants. I am especially horrified to hear about your situation since our pediatric urology visit made us learn it's a very VERY common and rarely diagnosed problem in 4-9 year olds because those sensitive muscles are still tightening and growing in. I'd flip out and goto the school board. It's not a prison, you should not need to ration bathroom breaks, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• That's just ignorant. I would go talk to the principle also.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would be upset. My daughter has kidney problems and the teacher she has works with me to make sure she goes. I would for sure go to the school and take to the prinpical about things. I would even make sure for some reason to carry underwear and pants in backpack. And if she were to get sick or somthing make the school cover doctor and maybe money for fresh clothes cause that is just not right. Keep me informed what the school did.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• if you've got a problem with people needing to go to the bathroom, you shouldn't work with old people or little kids. seriously? kid can't pee more than twice a day? you're supposed to go like every hour.
    teacher knew she was being a major bitch, otherwise she would have called you. school is hard enough without having to be remember as the kid that wet their pants.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 1:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would go straight to the principal, and if he does nothing, on to the school board. When I was in school we had "bathroom passes" just a piece of wood or paper with Grade and classroom or whatever on it. There was one for boys, and one for girls. If the one you needed was gone then you had to wait till whoever had it to get back so you could go, but you hardly ever had to wait more than 5 minutes. They hung on magnetic hooks on one of the chalk boards. Maybe they could institute something like that upon your reccomendation. Kids wouldn't be asking all the time to go, but they could go if they absolutely had to.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i know i feel so bad. its been happening for so long that teachers deny kids to go to the bathroom. its not just that teacher. def go to school because that problem has to stop. children should never be afraid to ask to go to the bathroom in school or any place for that matter.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010