Vtech Bugsby or Leapfrog Tag

I am debating between these two items for christmas. Do any of you own one? What do you like/ don't like about the one you own. I want to make a good choice for my son. He is turning three and loves books, so I would like to get him something that will grow with him and he can learn from. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks :)

Amellor1

Asked by Amellor1 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I took my then 2.5 year old to the store to try them both out and she ended up being able to use the Bugsby better than the Tag jr. I usually prefer Leapfrog but in this case VTech.
    We LOVE the Bugsby it's easy for her to use and she LOVES it. She takes it everywhere. She has used it since she got it and she is now almost 4.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son has had the VTech Bugsby book since last year & he LOVES it. We're a BIG VTech fan Family. I think VTech is a better brand & much cheaper than Leapfrog. There are plenty of books for them to read from & in each book there are games to play. You can find the books on Amazon.com for really cheap too. Best of Luck to you & let us know what you decide on =)
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Does the bugsby sound out the letters like the tag reader? After reading that both of you love the bugsby I think that will be my choice :)
    Amellor1

Comment by Amellor1 (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I like VTech things but still went with the Tag. We have several Leap Frog games that I am certain has helped my daughter sound out letters and words so I stuck with what I know. We have not used it yet because it is a Christmas gift so I can't give you like/dislike items.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Have you checked reviews on Amazon.com? Those are usually pretty helpful.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• From what I understand you have to download info into the tag system and the bugsby comes with cartridges. I bought the Bugsby for Chistmas.
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 6:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Thanks everyone! I ended up with the leapfrog tag (not the Jr). Though I did like the fact there were catriges for the bugsby versus downloads, the bugsby only says the words and does not help with the individual sounds. Plus I got a great deal on it too. Thanks again!
    Amellor1

Comment by Amellor1 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2010