What to expect when you are expecting?

So I have heard that this is the must have book for pregnant women and first time mothers. But before I order the book I wanted to ask you guys. Is this book just going to scare me more than help me? I was reading some of the books at the bookstore and every once in a while I was told that my eyes were getting huge. I don't want a book that is going to scare me about my pregnancy. I want something that is going to help so that I don't call the dr. everytime I feel something new.

What do you guys think? If you think the book will scare me but have a better recommendation I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I preferred "Your Pregnancy Week By Week." It had more information, and much more detail.
    I don't know about scaring you, because none of it scared me. But I'm a medical person.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I loved "What to expect when you are expecting".
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Stay away from this book if you can.
    Better to get good info (elsewhere).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Hated what to expect book. Preferred the week by week one and since I was going for all natural I looked for things that supported that and neither of those two did at all. Ina May Gaskin has two good books out and one something like "holistic pregnancy" or something like that were great for me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I loved the week by week one
    What to Expect when your Expecting was ok but I prefered the other one, but I just rented both from the library
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i read that when prego with my first. i enjoyed it and to me it was very detailed. nothing scary in it either it explains the labor process in matter of fact tone.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• nothing scary! it explains everything and gives you all options plus information about them without being biased to anything.
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 2:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• it'sa good book for general information but the week by week books seemed to be more informative for me! The "what to expect" book did have a medical section which scared me a bit. The best books to get are the ones that revolve around your style. For example, if you are into the natural methods get a natural first time parent/pregnancy type of book
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Hated it. Plus it pushed many unnecessary medical interventions when discussing birth. Natural birth is much easier then they make it sound. Your pregnancy week by week was a bit better.
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 8:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010