How can I convince their dad to let them date?

I posted a question about my 12 and 13 year old daughters wanting to go to the dance with a "date". My Dh wouldn't let them go with a date, while I don't see it being a huge deal as many pointed out ,at that age it is mostly innocent and not really a real date. I know that this dance is out, but what can I say or do to convince him to let them go with a boy next time? I'm not talking about them being unsupervised either, but with lots of adult supervision availible.

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• He's a man and he knows the hormones of a boy that age. Get them a book on dating and bounderies. Have the boy come over and meet your hubby.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I wouldn't let my kids that age go on a date. It's just not appropriate. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I think it's ok if you are driving and she is meeting him here but not together, it's way way too young. I remember my dad told me I could date when I was 15 and when the time came he said no, that I was too young. At the time I was mad and thought I was so big and could go. Now having a 15yr old nephew I see what he meant. it's too soon for a dat
    Anonymous

• I agree 12 and 13 is TO YOUNG to date!!! There is nothing wrong with going to a dance, but they don't need a "date". They don't need to go out to dinner or a movie with a date either!! That's not to say I don't think they can't go to the movie with their friends, but it should be a HUGE group of guys and girls and a parent should be at the movies too. :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• What is his reasoning? I think you and DH need to discuss your points of view about the issue without the kids. Alot of kids group date at their ages, which is more like a mixed group going to the same place than a real "date" but they still get to have interactions that prepare them for "real dating"
    Anonymous

• I don't think you should try. They are going to a dance where boys will be. That is enough at that age. Allowing them to pair up as if they are mini adults when they really are way too young will only make things much more difficult when they are say 14 or 15 or even 16. It all seems so innocent at this age but look out ask any mom of older daughters it is so much harder when they get 14 and 15 to keep them from thinking they are ready for much more. Bad idea if you ask me. Keep that door closed for as long as you can, once you open it you can't go back and close it.
    Anonymous

• 12 and 13 year old boys are not doing things with girls.. they are fine.. dont call it a date though they are to little to literally date.. they are tweens let them enjoy the simplicity of it now
    Anonymous

• Oh they aren't doing things with girls? read the other moms post about her 13 year old boy and oral sex. They are doing things at 12 and 13 don't kid yourself.
    Anonymous

• 12 and 13 year old boys and girls are "doing things" Google teen pregnancy. I totally agree with most of these posters, Dad is RIGHT! They are already going to be where the boys are, what is the point of making them officially a couple? If you let these girls rush into growing up, you will regret it eventually.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:18 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Wow! I commend your DH. I think it is great he has boundaries, rules, is involved, and is going to enforce them. I agree with him 100%.
    Anonymous