How do you tell your momther that you hate the name she keeps calling your unborn child?

mueller_amanda

Asked by mueller_amanda at 1:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You say, "Mom, I love you, but I do not like the name you are calling my child. That is not his/her name." Sometimes it takes being direct, but do it in a nice way, so you don't hurt her feelings.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• just be honest...maybe hint that you like a different name better?
    courtney_legg

Answer by courtney_legg at 1:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• "mom. the baby's name is ___. s/he's going to wonder why you can't get his/her name right."
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 1:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would just tell my Mom. I can be honest with her. I'd be nice about it of course, but just tell her the truth.
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 1:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Write the name, if you have one yet, on a piece of paper and show it to her. Tell her that the name she is using hurts your feelings and you would really be happier if she would use this one. If she digs in then tell her she is being disrespectful. And if she still doesn't stop, inform her that if she can't be respectful of your feelings on such a small issue, how can you trust her with the bigger issues that come along. And therefore, how will it be possible for her to expect to have much of a relationship with her grandchild.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, I agree, be honest and direct. My aunt kept calling my baby Penelope. She said it was the first girl name that popped into her head. I just let it go; I would say something like you can't call her that when she comes out though! lol
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You can tell her, if you already have a name picked out or even if not. Maybe find a way to honor her suggestion or idea if you don't.
    When we found out mydaughter was a girl we didn't have a name picked out. My in laws immediately set out with Emma, hubs hated it even though I myself had been thinking of it as a suggestion. My mom really dug in about the name Leah though as its what she would ahve named another girl and I kept asking for a baby sister as a kid. In the end my hubs and I did our own thing but honored both ideas by choosing to name our daughter Emmaleigh. If something similar would work for you that might help smooth things over.
    But if not, just tell her gently that you have something else in mind or you really aren't too fond of that name and would appreciate she stop using it.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 6:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Be honest...sorry mom but we are not going withthat name
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010