is there a way to make ceilings look higher?

Silly and weird question I know lol. I live in a mobile home (all have low ceilings). It looks more "homey" today just by my rearranging some wall decor but got any tips to give the ceiling a "higher effect"?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you have windows with curtains make sure the curtains start at the edge of the ceiling instead the edge of the window, it gives the impression of higher ceilings.

Answer by older at 2:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• thanks older!!! good idea!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Not sure how it would work in a mobile home but in my grandson and granddaughters rooms we painted the walls the color they wanted..then we painted the ceilings bright white. I saw this on one of those design shows. It really does give the illusion of higher ceilings.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Stay away from ceiling fans and overhead lighting that draws your eye to the center of a low ceiling. Instead, hang a few wall sconces that keep your eyes flowing throughout the space.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• you can also add a darker, contrasting color to the ceiling. It gives the illusion of depth- this is what I did with the side walls in my kitchen (galley kitchen) to make it look deeper, worked like a charm!

Light colors make a room look smaller.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Find two paint colors that are in the same family, one lighter and one darker. You paint the walls the darker color and the ceiling the lighter color and it gives the illusion of a higher ceiling.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• the landlords said we could repaint the walls as long as they are a neutral color. not much fun in that lol the walls are all white for now. almost every wall has framed art on them
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• darker walls with a lighter ceiling.

paint your ceiling with the lighter colored paint. Paint the edges between the ceiling and the walls and then extend the light colored paint down 8 inches from the ceiling across the entire side of the wall. This is a interior designer trick for just that purpose.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• guess this isnt a silly question afterall! thanks for the tips so far ladies!!!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Samurai_chica's trick does wonders - that extra white down the walls visually adds a lot of height. Also, uplights (if your walls are even) add height.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2010