Being induced

Well tomorrow im 39 weeks and im going in to be induced. What will they do? They said it could take a couple hours to three days. When will they give me the epideral? Any advice to make things smoother.

ahsweetness

Asked by ahsweetness at 2:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with my 2 pregnancies. One at 41 weeks where they gave me a pill at 8am and then thy waited till my water broke but they had to break my water after about 2pm then I started getting contractions but no active labor till aroudn midnight and pushed for 2 hours.
    My other I was induced at 42 weeks 3 days and the same thing happened but it was quicker 8am I took the pill, they broke my water around 2p and the active labor started around 8p and pushed for 10 min.
    It's really not bad at all.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The epidural they generally won't give you until you reach 4cm at least (any sooner can make for some serious complications.
    Every woman responds differently to pitocin. For some women, the first little drip is all they need to get things going. For others, it takes a while, and they keep upping the dose as you go along. There's no way to tell how you'll respond until you're there.
    Why are you being induced already? Is there a medical reason? Most women shouldn't be induced until 42 weeks or beyond.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• thanks ladies! I am severley diabetic and the baby already weighs about 8.5 lbs to 9lbs as of last Tues.!!!
    ahsweetness

Comment by ahsweetness (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Aaaaaa. I HATED being induced. There are SO many complications that can come about. And it was SUPER painful for me. Natural contractions were easy by comparison. My babies were estimated at 8-10 pounds (the first one was supposed to be 10 pounds). They really CAN'T tell you what the weight is. It is ONLY an estimate. My heaviest was 8 lbs 2 oz. You can choose to wait - though at this point I wouldn't expect to change your mind. :D

My body responded fairly well to pitocin and I gave birth within 6-8 hours with my first three. With my last one I waited it out and went without pitocin. BEST birth EVER!

I hope everything goes well for you!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• They will hook up a pitocin drip in your IV and let things happen. An epidural can be administered after 3cm. They want to be sure the pitocin is working and an epi can slow things down. Pitocin starts labor if everything is ready so yes it will be painful. How painful will depend on your personal level of tolerance. Unlike micheledo, there was no difference in the amount of pain I experienced between natrural and induction. Neither hurt more or less than the other. I assume you and your doctor have discussed risks of induction. If not, do so before you agree to it. If this is your first, there is no way of knowing how you will respond to induction or the epidural, so trust your doctor and if something does not feel right speak up. I usually recommend Demerol before an epi. to make it easier, but I've also heard they don't use demerol anymore. Anyway a positive attiutude goes a long way. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You need to sit down and discuss your options for induction. There are many options, some are safer then others. What is your Bishop's Score? that will tell you how likely an induction will work for you.

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/173.html

After you have talked to you Care Provider about your options, you will have a much better understanding about the why things will work. It is very hard to give you advice here in the internet without knowing more about your situation.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I was induced a month ago! I came in at 12:00 and it took over a hour just to get me situated! I had an IV of fluids and once I was on the fluids for a bit they checked me to see what I was at from the start. I came in being almost completely effaced and 3 cent dilated. But the babies head had some distance to go yet so they started me on pitocin to start contractions which would help move the babies head down. After about a half hour the doctor broke my water and the contractions then started. They told me I had to have two full bags of fluids in me before I can get an epidural. My husband and I played cards and i was texting my friends in between contractions to help the time go by. Every one is different how long it will last. I suggest bringing activities to keep time going fast or sleep if you can. Also chapstick is nice for all the breathing you may be doing! You can ask for ice chips too!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2010