How do you tell your neighbor to stop hoarding Junk?

All my neighbors including myself had our houses built 18 years ago. We have always kept them nice & neat & tidy out of respect for each other. Well, my neighbor is slowly becoming a Sh*t collector. He he has two junk cars in his driveway up on blocks and doesn't touch them & now he is in his yard putting up a tarp type shed thingy for more crap! His fences are dilapidated and the house looks like crap too. He is home doing nothing every weekend and has just stopped maintaining altogether. He befriended the neighbors kid across the street to help hi move around his sh*t. How do I approach him nicely & say get a grip already? This is just down right disrespectful to all of the other neighbors including myself. We live on a court.

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 3:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• See if there are any town regulations that might help you deal with this. We had to go throuh the town to get a neighbor to clean up his yard. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Call your local planning and zoning board. There are comprehensive plans in place to keep people from junking up a neighborhood. So call, report him and let them handle it. Where I live, he could be fined and then made to clean it up, but at the very least, he would be required to get rid of the junk, especially the cars.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my brother in law is a hoarder and the neighbors starting calling the city office and complaining about him, all calls were ANON and they have no idea which neighbors complained but it got him to build sheds and keep his stuff inside of them. my advice is call the city and let them deal with it
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• One man's trash is another man's treasure and tall fences make the best neighbors. That is my advice.

There is no way you are going to change his ways and it will only ignite a feud situation.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You can try talking to him him nicely, maybe offer to help? Is there a sickness or something else you may not be aware of?

Unfortunately, your only option (if he won't listen to reason) is to call the city and complain, but he's going to have to be in violation of code in order for them to do something. It seems like there's a house like this on every block - we have one, and we can't do anything about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Just file a complaint with the city and let them take care of it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If you don't live in a neighborhood with covenants or rules that everyone has to go by then there is a good chance that there isn't anything that you can do. Unless you have a HOA there probably isn't any rule about keeping your house upkept and having cars out front-there might be rules about tarps but I kinda doubt it. Unfortunately that is the downfall to having neighbors-sometimes you have to deal with it or move. Chances are if he has all of this in his yard then he sees nothing wrong with it and won't even consider listening to you when you say something to him -like another poster said-it will probably start a feud and he will just add more junk to the pile to aggravate you.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Report the neighbor to the local county or city agency or if you have covenants, codes and restrictions in place - the governing body for that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In my neighborhood, there are laws against collecting junk in your yard. We got reported once because my husband had been working on our car and left some car parts in the driveway for a few days, intending to throw them out on garbage day, and before he got the chance, the nosey old man behind us reported us to the city and we got a letter in the mail. I was furious because the people that used to live 3 houses down from us had a cruddy broken down car in their backyard, literally for YEARS and their yard looked like a jungle and no one ever said anything to them. Thankfully, they got evicted. Anyway, I'd check with the city to see if there are any laws in place about that kind of thing.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I live in a gated community. If I have any type of problem all I have to do is call security, and they handle it. Rarly happens though.

I'd try calling the city maybe they can help you. Really not sure what you can do.

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010