I have never fired someone ___But I need her gone ASAP

Sorry this has to be Anon, but I don't want to risk the chances of her seeing this. For all i know she has a CM account too.

Here we go: I hired this young "lady" to be a receptionist//assistant, for my husband, so I don't have to, I have my own job now and I have simply moved on, I do still do book keeping. He has a small gym. He contracts personal trainers. It is him, who is the owner, his friend, and 2 other trainers.

She walks around with a stick up her ass. It's so deep you can't even see it.

She would be great if she just stayed in the office and didn't come out, but she's always walking around. Her job consists of Confirming appointments, Answering Phones, Sending out mail to clients, And anything stationary. I was hoping to be able to give her some more responsibility, like data entry, billing etc, with a raise in pay, but she is so unlikable I just want her to do her job and leave. Maybe even hire someone else to do it for her, or at least, do what else I need done.

Should I fire her and get someone new, should I keep her to do these menial tasks even though I am going to have to cut her hours, since she seems to have so much free time, or just deal with her, give her more work and hope for the best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• The stress of having her around isn't worth it, fire her.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think you should let her know that it's not working out, and let her go. If you keep her in the job doing menial tasks, you may be keeping her from finding a job she's actually good at.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If she's not doing what you want her to do, then you should fire her, and be honest with her. If you want to be entirely fair, you could give her a warning and then a couple of weeks to see if she follows instructions. If she does, you can keep her. If she doesn't, then she has chosen her own employment demise.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Fire her. If she's not working out (didn't mean to make a pun there), it's better to cut your losses now and be done with it. In the gym business, it's important that your clients have a great experience or they will stop coming. It's hard firing someone, but it's business. She's not good for your business, you need someone else. (Be sure to look up your local employment laws to ensure you are following everything to the letter.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think it is time for an evaluation. Let her know what you expect and what behaviors she needs to change. Give a set amount of time and if she continues to still act this way, then let her go. If she improves, then give her more responsibilities like you wanted to in the first place.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think you either need to have a sit down with her or fire her. She is your employee and not doing her job when there is probably a long line of people waiting for that job out there.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010