Why do people stop communication with friends and family?

I always read postings about people who were so close to each other and then something happens that causes distance and even severs the friendship but why?

ChicaThis

Asked by ChicaThis at 3:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes the negatives of having a relationship with someone - family, friend or whatever - simply outweigh the positives the relationship brings.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Abuse, neglect, crimes against them - unfortunately some people can be pretty evil to their family members and friends alike.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• A lot has to do with offense !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Well in my case, I've stopped communicated with family and friends because although I have apologized and admitted my mistakes, the other people refused to admit fault or acknowledge what happened. I got tired of always being the bigger person and being blamed for every thing.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think that happens when people do not respect boundaries. Some people cross lines that they should not and some family members think that they do not have to respect any boundaries because it is family. My experience is that people who do not have boundaries eventually end up feeling very lonely because people will only handle so much of that in any relationship.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Because (to some) it's too much of an effort to keep realtionships going. Especially when you live far apart
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• people become so wrapped up in their own lives they forget those around them....I have asked my step daughter why she NEVER calls her dad and she says it just doesn't occur to her. So either people are busy or their priorities and messed up. The sad thing is sometimes we don't realize how much time we could have made for others, but those thoughts are after it is too late
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I know I stopped talking to my family and friends purely based on the fact that my life is busy. A year will go by before I realize I haven't talked to my grandparents.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'm distant from most of my family because they are incredibly intrusive, and can not respect personal boundaries... Their lives are far from perfect, yet they feel they possess the power to dictate what others should do with theirs. They also have absolutely ZERO respect for religious boundaries, and take every possible opportunity to indoctrinate my children. They would not appreciate it if I did the same, and I grew tired of being the bigger person... so I simply distanced myself. Now, we're happy as clams when we do see one another.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• because it is easier than being stuck in the middle of their drama
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010