I Carly

What age do you think it is appropriate?
What do you think of the show?
What do your kids think of the show?
Pros and Cons?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 3:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• To clarify the iCarly episode where they supposedly 'broke into the principals office', that is not entirely true....the character happened to be in the principal's office when he was called away leaving his computer open to the grade file and she took advantage of the situation. The episode dealt with the guilt one feels when committing such an offense. The three friends spend the episode trying to figure out how to 'fix' the mistake that was made - they end up turning themselves in at the end.

With that being said, yes, one main character is disrespectful while the other two are kind and compassionate. Authority is laughable and not in control of any situation. My kids are older and know the difference between fiction and reality and we discuss the plot lines should they be questionable. I find iCarly entertaining and look at the characters as an example of how you can behave and how NOT to behave.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 4:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• That show is banned in my household, we do watch other shows on the same channel. I Carly is a very negative show that is appropriate for age 14 and up, in my opinion. Sadly, it is marketed and aired to a much younger age group and many parents have no problem with that show. I have a 9 year old and a 5 year old. We are old fashioned around here I guess. We definitely restrict movies and tv programs that are not age appropriate.

To answer your questions, yes my children would readily watch the show if it were permitted. They know it is not allowed and willingly change the channel themselves when it comes on. The pro is that it is entertaining and cute. The cons is that it portrays negative attitude, bullying, bad language, disrespect to authority and inappropriate plots. My favorite episode was breaking into the principals office to change a report card grade. Yikes!!!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• its just a show but my aunt also does not let her 9 year old watch it i watch it (i am 20 hehe) and i would probably let my children watch it if they were 10 or older because it does promote disrespect and little kids pick everything up i wouldn't want them thinking it was okay to mouth off to me or a teacher
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I do not restrict shows. We talk about them after we watch them and the kids are good about picking out what the characters have done wrong and right. My girls are 6 and 7. I think it is appropriate for any age and I like the show. My kids are more into cartoons but they will watch it if it is on.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son is 10 and he watches iCarly. I can't stand the show. I think it's irritating and the kids act so rude. I do not restrict my son from watching it, but I do ask him if there is anything better on when the show starts to bug me. I like Wizards of Waverly, so he usually switches to that one. :)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Wow, I'm surprised at the responses here. I think iCarly is a cute show, I must be missing something. My daughter is 5 and loves it. I must prefer it to Hannah Montana, which, IMO is not appropriate for a 5 year old. I don't ban much with my kids, I choose to make whatever they question on tv an opportunity to have a discussion. The only thing I really don't like them watching is violence, and we're not ready for sexy type stuff either...which is one of the reasons I like iCarly...young girls WITH CLOTHES ON, lol. Nice change.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My DD watches it, she's 11. I've watched several episodes with her, and haven't seen anything objectionable. There have been episodes that if you only read the description you may wonder if it's suitable viewing - but the end result is typically a "if you behave good things happen to you and if you don't bad things happen" sort of message. We've also used the show to open up dialogue about situations in dealing with friends.

I would think 9-14 or so is a typical age range for kids to watch.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I love iCarly. It's one of the few shows I enjoy watching with my kids. It's my 4yo's favorite show (has been since she was 3). My kids are allowed to watch whatever, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I also love Icarly. It's very funny & cute. I give my DD more credit. She is 9 & is so well behaved. She is not at all the type of child who is going to do something negative because someone on TV did it. I give her more credit than that. Her favorite person on the show is Sam, who would be the worste influence on kids. DD also knows though, that this show is very made up & that real life situations are not really like that. She's very smart.

DD loves Sam, but is actually quite the opposite of her. Maybe that's why she likes her so much. She realizes that bad behavior is not cool & usually the show implies that. That is something you learn from parents & your surroundings, but not so much TV.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son is 6 and he likes ICarly also. I havent really seen anything bad in the show not to let him watch it. It is rated TV-G so I let my son watch it. It actually is one of the shows he will actually sit down and watch.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2010