Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this right? what can i do?

i am renting this house and all summer i had trouble with the air unit so i had to go buy window units just to keep cool and didnt get a discount on rent or anything well now it is the heater doesnt work and they guy says were on the as soon as possible list he has a guy that work son the units cheap and says he doesnt wana call a big name company.....i had to go buy heaters for the house and yet again hes not gana take it off my rent.......i have 3 small children(3yrs 2yrs and a 3week old) in this house so it HAS to be warm is there anything i can do about him doing this?? i mean is it ok for it to be like this this is the first house i have ever rented so i have no clue what to do im so frusterated with this man i just wish i could move out NOW but i signed a lease till june......any advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 8 (230 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Talk to your local housing authority. Make sure that you have detailed accounts (dates, whom you spoke with, etc.) about you telling the landlord about your air and heat. A lot of what you are entitled to depends on your area because the laws can very widely. They can tell you what you need to do in order to get this resolved. My understanding is that your furnace has to be in working order in certain areas of the country or it can be declared uninhabitable.

    Answer by Scuba at 4:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • You can go to a laywer & write out a paper saying you will not pay rent until it's fixed. Have it notorized & send it to him as certified mail with a return receipt so that you have proof that he recieved the letter. This way, he cannot take you to court for not paying, he's in the wrong here.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • You need to look up the laws in your state. Here in PA the landlord HAS to provide heat after September 1st and if he doesn't then you can withhold your rent and have the place deemed uninhabitable. The air is not an issue up here and AC is optional. If there are units installed then the landlord does have to maintain them though.

    Answer by aeneva at 4:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • Very few states require AC, heat is a requirement. Like the others said - call your local housing authority.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • You can also mail a letter letting him know it needs to be fixed, by such and such a time and that you would be happy to call to arrange and deduct it from your rent. Keep a copy of the letter, and READ over your lease agreement. Some things should be stated therein.

    Answer by SFerber at 12:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.