WWYD (sister in distress)

Lately, for the last few months, my sister has been staying with us. She comes over Friday after her last class, and goes home when I drop her off at school on Monday. She is 13. Her and my mom aren't getting along, my mom thinks punching my sister is the answer. In fact when I was younger my mom did the same thing and to get her to act right I used to have to physically remove her from my room, because she has no control.

We have a 2 bedroom. Me, my son(1), and my SO all sleep in the larger bedroom, the other bedroom is like an office/guest room. Well it has a study area for me, My SO uses the desk as like a small home office for his self, we have a small couch in there that is a pull out, which she has been using as a bed for when she's over.

Should I just turn the bedroom into an actual full room for her, or, should I keep it as an office space, since Mon-Friday it is actually used as an office space?

During Holiday breaks my sister has asked that she stay here the whole time to avoid spending too much time at home with our mother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• And remember there is always hope. Maybe your mother needs to be educated, maybe there are some issues in her life she needs help with. You really are a super lady to take on a teen, even part time. It is an awkward age. Best of luck to you & the situation.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• I think you should make it her bedroom & let her stay permanently, or at least as much as possible. She is older too & can help out around the house.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yeah, i think if it were me i'd want to take her right out of the situation....but that might be hard on you and SO .....would she make a good babysitter every now and then ?
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, she is great with my son, and honestly the only person I trust to leave him with. My mom will not let her live with me. She is really against it. She's self righteous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would report it. What your mother is doing to your sister is abuse. You have a good shot at getting her in your home. I strongly urge you to go talk to someone about it before the situation gets completely out of hand and your sister gets really hurt.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Bedroom

Answer by admckenzie at 4:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• First, I would talk to my husband and ask him how he feels about your sister's situation. Also, if you want to have her permanently it will be nice for her to have her own room but if it is just going to be for weekends or holidays I would leave it the way you have it now. JMO.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Report your mother.Yes your sister can be hurt physically taking punches,but more importantly is the mental aspect most especially given her age at 13. If she is not removed from the situation and offered some sort of psychological treatment to help her understand her mothers behavior,the young lady will run right into the arms of the first bad boy the teen hormones introduce her to.Look it up.Google what happens to young ladies that are abused like this It is hard enough to be 13,much-less have some bitch punching on you.I was raised by an unstable/mental/fit throwing/marrying 5 different men/whack job mother,I have 30+ years of a domestic violence history. I did not receive help or become educated about violence & abuse inside a home until I was 40 years old.Kudos to you for being there for your sister in the NOW, be there for her in her future by knowing there are no do overs on some subjects during formative teen years

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Family first!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree that you need to report your Mother-sounds like she needs anger management course or two. Have your sister legally put into your home with yourself as guardian-until your mother gets help. Also you have to know that 13 is the hardest age for a mother/daughter to survive. It's possible that your sister isn't perfect and that will only be shown after you go through all this stuff to help her! You need to be aware of this before you jump in with both feet.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2010