So, my 4 year old son wants to have a "Goonies" themed birthday party, with scavenger hunts, booby traps, and treasure. I'm not at all creative and don't have a ton of money... Any ideas???????

JandA33

Asked by JandA33 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Never heard of a Goonies themed birthday party, but sounds like a lot of fun! You could always go to OrientalTrading.com. They usually have a lot of neat and CHEAP stuff for birthday parties. When I was a Pre-K teacher, I would get a lot of my arts & crafts from there and like our party things!
    Landonsmom33108

Answer by Landonsmom33108 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Party City always has tons of pirates themed stuff for cheap.
    Anonymous

• Oh, that could be so fun! What a great idea, and you could do it pretty inexpensively! Like the first poster said, Oriental Trading is a great place for party stuff, and you could probably find a lot of clearance this time of year too, and places like 1/2 off card shop.
    The scavenger hunt would be a great activity, make a treasure map for them to follow the clues and collect prizes along the way. You could even show the Goonies movie as part of the party if you'd like, maybe while the kids eat pizza or something!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• WOW ! The Goonies are still around ! Sorry that I don't have any ideas, but I remember the Goonies from so many years ago....and I loved it ! but there's got to be lots of pirate stuff you could do....and yeah, show the movie ! I love aliceinalgonac's suggestion of a scavenger hunt with treasure map ! that would be so cool !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You can get cheap gems at a craft store. If you have a JoAnns Fabric near you they always have great deals! And maybe the chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil. Oriental Trading is a great and cheap for party supplies, like they said. I know they have pirate stuff. That would be so fun!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Is the weather even going to be nice enough for all of that? The treasure hunt is fun. Neighbors are generally helpful with that. You might be able to get some free wood off of craigslist and such off the free stuff. Good luck
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 5:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Paper mache is always cheap and you can make alot of things. I would pick a couple scenes from the movie to recreate.

You could tape together a bunch of wrapping paper pieces to make a huge wall mural - paint it like a scene from the movie, or easy like a cave or pirate ship or something.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010