Can I keep my 6 yr old out of recess

He has been sick for the last week and he is doing better just has a mild cough. I want him to stay inside for recess tomorrow and maybe Tuesday. I should be able to write a note to keep him inside, right?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Send a note to the teacher about it. Also make sure you tell your son that you want him to stay in. I teach first grade and last year I had a mom write me a note and leave me a voice mail saying that she didn't want her son to go outside because he hurt his foot, but she didn't bother to tell the kid. He ended up being upset with me for not letting him go outside.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 4:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, just write a note to his teacher, she should comply with your request.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would think so. give it a try and talk to his teacher.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Write a note, and if that doesn't work get a doctors note
    TawnyMarlow

Answer by TawnyMarlow at 4:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I fyou don't think he's well enough to be outside, do you think he is still sick? Should he really be at school around all the other kids Mommy? That is how disease is spread;)
    Hope your lil guy gets to feeling better soon!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You sure can. I've done it. They get plenty of exercise and love PE so if they feel like they are not up to it I know they shouldn't be too physical. On the other hand, if your childs well enough to go to school, why not take gym? Maybe if you wrote a note telling the teacher the situation and letting him take it easy would be another option.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• sorry... your question says recess and I'm thinking gym class. Still I'd leave it up to my child. But let the teacher know he's been sick and to keep him in if he doesn't feel up to it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My little ones school would not be able to do that unless they had your little one go to the office and sit in there or maybe the nurse. It is worth a try. I would think though that if he is well enough for school then he could go to recess. Just tell him to take it easy. My little one would be devastated to not go out. Only kids that are in trouble or do not finish their homework get sent to the principals office during recess.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't know. I doubt they'd have someone to stay inside with him. Isn't it just like 15 mins at a time?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• When i was in elementary school, if we didn't want to go out in the cold we could go to the library for recess, and i think they even opened up the gym sometimes for that reason too. Maybe the school has that kind of option?
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010