How should I handle my entitled friend?

A few years ago I took my friend of 20 years to see "Wicked" for her birthday. Since then she has taken me to see "Spamalot" and "South Pacific" for my birthday. I enjoyed those occasions, but she thinks they're the greatest times ever and rages about how much she loves them.

I had her and her family to my house on Thanksgiving Day and she remarked that we must do something for her birthday. I said yes lets go to dinner and she reply'd "oh we need to do something more fun than that!"

So how do I handle this? I didn't expect to be starting a president when I took her to a Broadway show and don't feel I should be obligated. But, my friend is very deer to me. Do I just fork out for the show every year from now on? or, do I stick to offering her dinner and take her to a show only when I want to?
Any suggestions?

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 4:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• What do you want to do for her birthday? What is in your budget? I don't think it's entitled of your friend to think you may be going to a Broadway show, it sounds like it's becoming a tradition, and she loves having that experience with you. Nothing wrong with that, you know? If it's not an option this year, let her know that you'd love to take her to dinner, but you are unable to do a show this year. I bet she will understand.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Your present to her, your decision:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Whether or not you feel as if you've set a precedent, you don't need to continue that type of gift giving if you don't want to. It's up to you. You don't give someone a gift because they feel they're entitled to it, you give them a gift because you want to give them a gift. You choose something that you think is appropriate and that your friend will enjoy, and that is what you gift.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Do what you want to do and what you can afford. It is impolite of her to ask/suggest more.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would just explain that it is not within your budget, maybe she would like to go see a movie or ice skating for her birthday. She may not have meant anything other than lets do something other than just dinner like makeovers at Sephora or going to the casino.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 4:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Just tell her that your budget cannot handle Broadway, or anything in that cost range. If she's a good friend, she'll totally understand.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The thing is, I can actually afford it. But, it is a lot of money and I don't want to feel that I have to do it every year. Maybe I'll do something similar but not a musical and not a Broadway show, like an art exhibit or something. A compromise so to speak.

onethentwins

Comment by onethentwins (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Well I think you should let her know how you feel she will understand
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 7:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010