Who has the right here?

My husband and I hardly ever disagree ... but now we have got into a "bickerment" ...

We have built our dream house and now it is getting to the time to where we pick out the "decore" ...

I will admit I basically planned the layout of the whole house ( except for the basement) ... and I intended on decorating the majority of it and let him decorate his office and the basement ...

This is something I have always dreamed of, for the last 2 years ( while planning out house) ... I have stayed up late and woke up early looking for just the right curtains, the right furniture, the floors, everything....

Ever since we got our first home I have had family and friends ask me to decorate their homes, which I think says something good about my "taste"

and the fact that he still think it is ok to hang blankets up as drapes says something too...

I think I am entitled to decorate the kitchen because I am the one who cooks, I think i should do the living room because i will be the main one usuing it ( he has his big screen in his "man cave" in the basement) , I think I should beable to decorate the playroom and the classroom becasue I will be the one playing with them and teaching them, and the bathrooms because i will be the one cleaning them...

I think i can with the kids rooms because I am the one who let the kids pick what they wanted...and our bedroom - well I couldnt chose between several colors and themes so i let him decide and I think that is fair because it is like we both had a say so...

The rooms that he does get to choose he has already decided and made plans for them and i dont want that carried into the rest of the house.... his office is The Yankees ( and he also have historic documents and stuff framed and "showcased" which is good because I agree that that will look nice) , the "man cave" is The Bengals ( which is fine because it is basically where he and his friends will watch football and play video games) .... we are also having a small home gym down there and he wanted it to look cartoonish - which I dont like but I am letting him decide.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Sounds fair to me! My husband thinks he is an interior decorator, but if i left if up to him our house would look like a mountain man cabin! Lol! So we compromise, he has certain things he wants (like wildlife mounts and skins and antlers and whatnot, which i'm cool with) and i incorporate it all into our decor!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• In my personal experience, men don't want to decorate any parts of the house that they won't be in very often. So what I did with my husband was ask his opinion on color schemes and hardwood flooring just so he feels he was a part of the process. It worked for me because he wasn't interested in curtains, bedding and furniture. Good luck!
    MDMom337

Answer by MDMom337 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think that the decor should be agreed upon by BOTH of you. The kids room, they should get a say to some extent. The living room is a common area - both should agree. The kids bathroom should have some kid influence....same with the "classroom".

Remember that you ALL have to live in the house and if you decorate a common area like the kitchen, living room, etc. where he won't like it....that's not fair to him OR you as you will spend all your time bickering about it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think that you both need to agree to a certain extent but overall I think you should have it like you want it just not too girly or anything or the man will take over and you'll be upset with the end result
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010