Is it worse to graduate from college with crappy grades, or have a crappy job that pays $8 per hour?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• I graduated (associates degree) with good grades and still could only get a crappy job at minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• worse to have a crappy job that pays $8. But where I live you can have crappy (as in C grades) in non major classes, but for your major you need to hold over a B average. Because they understand, a math major might not focus and do too well in a Humanities class, but if they at least pass, and their major GPA is still good, then that's what matters.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Uhhh... they both suck?

There are hundreds of jobs that don't require a college eduation and still pay far more than $8/hr (which is below minimum wage here in WA, anyhow). If someone isn't cut out for college there are other options to look into that still provide a decent wage and benefits.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 5:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Many employers today have so many applicants they are looking at GPA's and will not hire people who did poorly in school.  It does speak to their ability so I can see why they do this.  My sister is in HR she won't even look at applicants with less than a 3.5 GPA now. She said before when they had trouble finding people it was a bit different but now they can be more choosy in who they hire and have upped the standards by a lot.  If you are only qualified to do an 8 dollar an hour job then that is what you do.  I would not go to college if you don't have the academic ability.  You will simply live your life on the 8 bucks an hour.  Might mean you only have one child and you don't have a lot of extras but if you can provide the basics nothing wrong with that. 

Anonymous

• both and just b/c you wnet to college and go good grades does not mean you may not end up with a crappy job and just b/c you don't go to college does not mean you can't end up with a great job....
    There are LOTS of jobs you can make lots of $ at WITHOUT a college diploma: a/c, plumbin, welding, cabintry, contracting etc.etc.etc. AND at many of these they are depesperate for new blood willing to learn and work.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I wanted to add that where I live now is worse than where I used to live. Where I live now, my associates degree made it harder for me to get a job. I was supposedly overqualified for many jobs because I had a degree. My guess is that they didn't have a degree themselves and didn't want to hire someone with more education than them. Where I used to live I had a couple of really good paying jobs both before I got my degree and after. So I think a lot depends on where you live.
    Anonymous

• Well, the majority of college graduates I know of got decent to good grades. And they are making minimum wage... So does it really matter? If there are no jobs, it doesn't matter what your grades look like.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Not really understanding the question. If a Dr. graduated from school with all D's, you still call him Dr. as long as he has his degree! A degree is a degree, that's all that matters. No one really looks at grades, just that little piece of paper called your degree.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Graduating from college with lower grades isn't as bad as you think. It really depends on your major and what type of job you are going for. For all my jobs, it was enough to have graduated - I never put my GPA on my resume and no one ever asked for it. Getting into grad school with crappy grades was another story (that wasn't your question though).

.science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Every job application I fill out (for teaching) wants my GPA. I am glad I graduated with honors, for there is a shit load of competition in my field. OP both scenarios you list SUCK imo.

Anonymous