• In the Spotlight:

When should I start pumping. I am waiting for my sons 2 week check-up to ask the doctor. He has already established good eating habits and can use a binky with out confusion. I don't think I can make it a month.

mamad62708

Asked by mamad62708 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started pumping in the hospital =] my doc sais that you can pump when your comfortable! so if you feel that you are redy there should be no problem.. what kind of breast pump are you using.. i had an avent isis duo pump.. its supposed to be one of the best.. i loved it!!
    adrias_mommy

Answer by adrias_mommy at 5:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Hang in there, you should pump for back up, not to continue lactation, your body programs its milk production based on how baby is nursing. If you want to continue with breast feeding get your milk supply firmly established, usually 3 month mark (and continue putting baby to breast as often as possible!). Try adressing what is causing you to have a problem with nursing your child before switching to the pump. Also, try to find a local lactation consultant, they usually provide free services through the hospital you delivered at to promote public health, breastfeeding provides a great start in life. Try calling the unit you delivered on for breast feeding support and resurces, also contact support groups online like 'La Leche League'. http://www.llli.org/
    emmyem

Answer by emmyem at 7:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Are you trying to wean him or switch to a bottle? You don't have to pump at all, unless you want to increase your milk or store it.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• If you need to pump, do it first thing in the morning, that's when your milk supply is at it's greatest. That's what I did, so my husband would have plenty of milk to give them whenever I needed a break,or wasn't home, he usually gave them one bottle a day.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Hi, Ive been breast feeding for about 4 months now. I am always at home with her so it is hard for me to pump. I do know that the more you pump the more pain you may possibley be in. The body will start to produce more milk as you pump. I know the experts recomend that you have at least 4 weeks of exculive breast feeding down before introducing a bottle. The baby may want the bottle more because it is easier for them to suck. I think ultimatley it is your decision. I know that I didnt get my pumping started until about 6 weeks, but I am a stay at home mom. I think If i had a job, I would have had to start earlier. You know what is best for you and baby, after all your already doing the best thing for your baby. Good luck. Hope this helped alittle
    EliseMommy

Answer by EliseMommy at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2008