To buy or not to buy for someone?

Heres whats going on. I have 2 brother-in-laws that as a present last year for christmas we got them a cell phone and added them to our plan. We already have unlimited text messaging and minutes so thats not an issue. They are 17 and 19 so easily know how to be responsible with them. In the beginning they were told when they got jobs they would take over their part of the bill and until then they were not to go on the internet on their phones. They were easily agreeable to this. Well about 4 months ago the 19 yr old racked up our bill by using the internet. He had a touch screen phone and claimed he fell asleep on his phone and it went on the internet. It was about 60$ extra but we told him as long as it didnt happen again and he payed us back when he got a job we would keep him on the plan. He agreed. Wouldnt you know by the next month he racked out bill up so much it was ridiculous. By the time we got the bill in the mail and realized he had went into the next bill by a week. In the end he owes us arund 500 some dollars. So his phone has been shut off for about 2 months. Our bills is finally back to normal and he still has not gotten a job. He knows how much he owes us and refuses to get a job. I think that for christmas and his brithday we should take money off the money he owes us and thats his present. My husband thinks thats not right and we should get him a present anyways. What woudl you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• I like YOUR idea

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• that's what i think too. your idea sound awesome... but then it went bad on your part when you got them phones... i think it's a lesson learned and sure you wont do that again. just get them something that wont hurt your pocket in the end.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree with you also. There's a lesson to be learned here.
    Anonymous

• I like your idea too. your hubbie is just taking up for
    his brother, but you are right.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• visa/master card gift cards are good to give on a special occasion.

trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 11:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2010