Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Spin off: Give your opinion on this type of mommy

This is a family member of mine...How do I approach the situation. or should I say nothing at all.

I have heard through the "grapevine" that her man has been abusive to her, and her house is tore up. She is renting this house because she wanted more space, but there is no stove, the BF broke everything in the house, including a TV and an entertainment center. I heard he has hit her, but I have not seen anything on her, such as bruises, others say they have, so I am just leaving that alone because I am speculating.

My grandma said that the baby acts kind of afraid of the dad. Probably because of all of the arguing, the fact that he's not really involved, and possible abuse on the mommy.

The sad thing besides all of that is the baby said Nana (for her grandma) before she even said mommy, momma, w/e...she is more comfy around her grandparents then her own mother. :(


Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • abusers are usually really good at hiding it- leaving marks where they aren't seen (mine sure was). Its a blessing that the kid has grandparents, and his mother likely pushes the child on them for its own safety. There is a lot more going on in abuse cases than most people realize, or are willing to admit.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • I would go over there to see for yourself if there really are signs of abuse. If there are call CPS, a child shouldn't grow up in that. If not then great.

    Answer by TaraK. at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • You have a responsibility to act on the behalf of this child. If you suspect abuse and didn't do'd feel terrible if you found out it was actually true.

    Answer by jwalpole at 6:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • I'd drop by the house as well.

    Answer by Jessica157 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • drop by and check on them unexpected, if their is anything going on you need to call CP

    Answer by raisingmen at 6:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

  • I'd stop over and visit her to see what is going on and see if she is ok. If he is there I would say "I stopped by to see if you wanted to go out for coffee with me" and try to get her alone to talk. If he is not there I would let her know that I heard things and I was concerned for her and the baby, and if she needed anything I was a phone call away. If I felt that it was not a good situation (or if she mentioned abuse) I would call CPS.

    Answer by MizLee at 6:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010