Ladies, I could realy use some help, in a hurry. Science was never my forte and I am tring to help my daughter with a project...

We researched online how to test paper towels for absorbency, we found something that told us to put drops in the center of the paper towel. The one requiring the LEAST amount of drops water to fill a circle 2cm in diameter is the most absorbant. I am confused wouldn't the one with the most drops be absorbing more water?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would just keep doing drops until water drops out the other side. Whichever holds the most drops without releasing would be the most absorbent in my book.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Yes, because the more absorbent it is the less it will spread. Sounds like your info had a type in it. Good luck with the project!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• That is wrong. The one that absorbs more water is the most absorbent.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 5:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Thank you now I don't feel so dumb. lol. I just couldn't figure out how less drops meant more absorbent. It didn't make sense to me.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I just ran this by my husband for fun and he said he can see both being correct! That the one filling up the circle the fastest is wicking the drops away and therefore will hold more water eventually than the other paper towel. Or the other is so dense that it will hold more water in that immediate area. Just passing this along for fun, not to complicate things.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Well we re-done the project the way Melbornj suggested and we got completely opposite results. We are going with these results it just makes more sense to me.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2010