toddler sleeping

my daughter is going to be 16 months old in a week. she has never slept thru the night. she is getting the hang up getting to sleep on her own (no bottles anymore during the night) but she still wakes up during the night. usually once or twice.. sometimes more though and she can be up as early as 530 am. i am very tired usually but i just do not feel like i can let her cry. i have listened to doctors and friends tell me to let her cry but its just not something i want to do. my boyfriend (babys father) says i am being selfish.. so i feel bad. what are some mommys thoughts on this.. whether you dont believe in crying it out or you do.. please let me know and explain.. any sleeping tips would be great also.. thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are 3 & 4 years old, neither of them has ever slept a full night without waking at least once. And I would NEVER just let them cry. Usually we just lay with them for a few mins or sit and pat their butt or rub their back and they go right back down... My sister was a teen before she was able to sleep a full night... Some people just don't sleep well and crying has never helped a single one of them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Children are very very smart. She in all sense has mommy trained. She knows you will come when she cries and from the sounds of it you do. My son did the same thing I got off at work at midnight and 8 months pregnant with my daughter and knew without a doubt I was gonna be up at 5:45 am and as true to the time I was! So, I had to, to keep my sanity got up checked on him did the diaper change made sure no fever did the bottle and he went right back in his crib whether he wanted up or not he got things in his crib to play with without danger and yes he did cry sometimes but he got the picture I was not coming to his rescue and he did fall back to sleep OR played until I got up at 7. This was a bone of contention with my husband at the time but I told him unless he was getting up to deal with him then we need to let him be. My son today is a very well adjusted 18 year old whom will be goin in the Navy in several months. Nancy
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 6:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my 21 month old a lot of times doesn't sleep thru the night. sometimes he does but I would never just let him cry. that doesn't ever help anything. she's prolly hungry if she's waking up. I'd keep giving her the bottle til she's a little older if it makes her go back to sleep.
    Cartersmom78

Answer by Cartersmom78 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010