I need help with my 10 year old daughter

My 10 year old urinated in her trashcan. So we grounded her and took away her extra activities. She acted like everything was ok for a while. Yesterday my son found a gatorade bottle in her room with urine in it. When I asked why she did it she said "because you told me to stop slamming the door". I never said stop using the bathroom! She lies constantly and she acts like shes so mistreated. We're good parents. Is it puberty? Do all 10 year olds act this way? I have other children and none of them are acting strange. She has everything she needs. What are we doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd probably take her to a therapist. That doesn't sound normal, does it? We were 10 yr old girls once and I don't remember having the urge to urinate in bottles and cans.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would talk to her pediatrician, this doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of. Especially at the age of 10.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It sounds like she is acting out. I don't think it is normal to act out in this way but maybe she wants more attention. I would call her dr. to see what they think. Have you recently had a baby or does she have a younger sibling that she may feel is getting more attention? I hope you figure this out, it does sound strange.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• This does not sound like normal behavior for a ten year old. I would look into getting her into therapy ASAP. Good luck.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 6:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You are claiming that your daughter lies constantly. This indicates a problem. Your daughter urinating in her trash can and gatorade bottle is probably an attention seeking ploy. I would take her to a child psychologist. This might be the start of something. I wouldn't ignore this. Goode luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think she may be feeling left out, or having trouble at school and she is trying to get attention maybe you need to have a day or 2 with just you and her and see if she will open up and tell you what's on her mind. This behaviour is not normal but its not horrible it seams like a cry for attention. Sometimes even when we give them attention and are good parents, kids can need just a little extra especially if they are having trouble making friends or figuring out where they belong, and they act out for attention all about them.
    outofoptions67

Answer by outofoptions67 at 2:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It sounds to me like she is "acting out" and there is an underlining issue. I have a 13 year old daughter and she has been seeing a councelor now for a little over a year. I am a good parent and she is raised in a good home...but for some reason she has alot of pent up anger and does not know how to deal with it. I COULDNT FIGURE OUT WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM OR WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT. She is a really good kid...and like I said...she has a "good home". Kids act out...puberty is crazy and unpredictable!!! I am speaking from experience...what your daughter is doing is NOT normal behavior and you posting this shows that you already know that. I definitly think she needs to talk to someone (and the good thing is....they will talk to you and help you get through these things also...which I am sure you need right now too!)

I wish you...and your daughter the best of luck!
    aboutmygirls

Answer by aboutmygirls at 5:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You did nothing wrong. Kids just do stupid stuff. They are lazy and silly. She will live through this but willyou?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010