When did you start time outs? Do they work for you?

He is a great baby. But I don't like that he hits. Like if your just sitting there, you think he might be coming over to give kisses, or hugs, or something else nice, but instead, POW **smack** me right upside the head.

So I gave him a time out the other day. He actually sat still. He got 30seconds. When we picked him up he gave his dad a smack. And daddy sat him back down and he got another 30 seconds. He cried the second time he had to sit. Ever since then he goes to smack, and then he stops before he makes contact. :)

When did you start time out?

I'm hoping as he gets more testy the time outs will work then. 
He's one now and already thinks he is slick. ;) 

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started around a year. One min. per year. But it didn't work for everything, no. We had to switch things up from time to time... Sometimes they stand in a corner, sometimes a toy goes in time out, sometimes they get a smack on the butt... It depends on what they are doing, if it's a reoccurring issue and so on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• we started time out at 1 and a half
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 6:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't remember when I started but it actually works for both of my children. I don't call it Time out. If my children are just crying without a reason I tell my daughter who is older to go to her bed and stay there until she feel better to talk. The rule is 1 min x age, so my dd is 3 she gets 3 mins. But you always have to talk to them afterward that that behavior is not okay. I put my son in his crib when he is just crying, he doesn't talk yet but he understand that what he is doing is not right. My son is 1 so, I put him in for a min, close the door and let him cry there. If I pick him up and he still crying, I put him back. Then again I tell him that I don't like what he did and he stops. Good luck! and be consistent.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• agree with sabrina- started it after 1yr we still use it for somethings but bigger offenses need more disipline
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• We didn't do time outs but took away their most favorite thing for an appropriate length of time. That worked better for our kids.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2010