When parent's Divorce with older children

Do you find they lean more towards the Mother then the Father?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure how old you are referring to. Mine were 4, 5, and 8 and they definitely leaned more towards me. We recently went back to court to modify - they are now 9, 10, and 13 and they still leaned heavily in my favor.

Answer by missanc at 6:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I was 13 when myu parents divorced me and my lil brother stuck by my mom but my oldest bro went with my father. I think theyd pick parent they were closest too
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My Neighbor went though a divorce last year and her sons are 16 and 18, they both leaned towards their mother. I guess it just depends on the circumstances surrounding the divorce. If you love you children and don't force any feelings on them, I am sure your relationship with them will be just fine :)
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my children did. They were 10, 13, and 16 when their father and I divorced and they did leantoward me more but only because I was their "all the time" parent and knew their every need and my X (their father) never was home except one day a week and slept or went out with is friends during that day and spent no time with the children. I did everything with them in school, work, home etc...

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 7:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It depends on the child. Some are closer with their mom and some closer to their dad.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 7:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am a child of parents that divorced 3-4yrs ago and I'm 26. When your older you actually see clearer and it's not really about sides or going one way or the other. My siblings and I my brother was 16 when my parents divorced didn't lean either way. He lived with my mother and my sister and I lived with our father (until we found our own place) just because my mother didn't have room but their was never any side taking or favoritism.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• it depends on the circumstances esp. when you are older. My parents finally got separated when I was 19, I and my bro were with my mom. But we didn't "lean" one way or the other, we just knew that it was good and my mom was the one that supported us etc. and as we get older and older we go to our parents for diff things... according to what's appropiate for the situation.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My parents divorced when I was 19. I stayed close to both of them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010